Macbook Pro- What is your review?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alphonsus, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Alphonsus macrumors member

So I am 17 and I am getting a new laptop for senior year and college. I am going more toward the MBP w/Touch bar 2016 than the Dell XPS 15. I am getting a new computer in 2 weeks and hope though that the MBP refresh will be available then, otherwise I will have to go with the late 2016. My parents and sibling have been using Macbook Air and Pro, however this will be my first. I have been using PC all my life. Since my mom is a teacher I am getting 10% off so it will be $1540. Which is a pretty good deal.

Want to know what you guys think of the Macbook Pro with the Touch bar and what you use it for? For most I will be using it to search web, watch Youtube, starting to go into creating videos for Youtube, and light to medium gaming. Don't know what I am going to do in college, going more toward Environmental Science or Pharmacy.

2. maculateConception, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017

maculateConception macrumors 6502

maculateConception

The only Macbook Pro I have ever owned is a mid-2009 model, so I cannot comment on the more recent ones. But, I will tell you what I think of them in general.

I have loved every moment of using my 2009 MBP, every single moment. I was also a PC user for the longest time. Then, when I made the switch to Mac in 2009, not only at home, but also at work (Mac Pro tower), I fell in love with the platform, and I don't think I would ever give up on using Macs. Built around a UNIX kernel, they are secure, robust, and highly functional systems, which makes them great for software development (my profession), but not just that, they're used worldwide for a lot of creative/artistic work. Even if you're just an average multimedia consumer, they're great !

The whole philosophy of the Mac, apart from being "cool" (which is not the point), is that it is easy to use and fun. Not only is it built around a solid UNIX core, but it also has a great looking interface and is quite stable, esp. when compared to Windows. The only downside is that your Mac is not as easily customizable as a Windows PC, esp. the more recent ones, because Apple ties their users to their hardware/software ecosystem, more so than Microsoft. So, there is a TON more software/hardware for Windows than there ever will be for Mac (esp. free software). All said and done, Microsoft rules the market, as of today. Just keep this in mind. But, that should not stop you from venturing into the Mac world.

There has been a lot of talk recently about the newer Macbook Pros not being on the cutting edge of technology. That may be true, but, in the tech world, even if you could get the most cutting edge crap one day, it would become obsolete within months. That's just how it goes. No point in complaining.

If you're a super-power-user, that may be a limitation. But, for most people, Macbook Pros are a mind-blowing experience. And, even though I'm a kind of power user, I'm totally happy with my old 2009 Macbook Pro. I'm giving it a major upgrade at this point, because I recently went from OS X 10.6.8 to 10.10.5, and it needs new hardware to keep up with the software. But, I'm confident that it will last a long time and satisfy all my computing needs.

BTW, I think the touch bar is a cool concept. I can't comment on how well it works coz I've never used it, but from what I've seen, I like it a lot.

Go for it ! You will not be disappointed.

3. Alphonsus thread starter macrumors member

Do you think 8 gb is enough for most users(not editing 4k videos or other power draining tasks). I am coming from a computer that has a 3rd or 4th gen i3 with 4 gb ram so basically any computer I will feel a difference.

Thank You for your well written response!

4. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

I don't like the idea of the touch bar. You have to be looking directly down on the keyboard to see it. If you're like me and have the MBP sitting on a side table as you're sitting in an easy chair, you're not gonna see the touch bar.

5. maculateConception macrumors 6502

maculateConception

Yes, I think 8GB RAM will be enough for your needs. But, keep in mind that RAM these days (if I'm not mistaken), once you get the computer, is not upgradeable at all, because it is soldered to the motherboard. If that is the case, you will not be able to max it out later. I, personally, would max out the RAM, because they've made it impossible to upgrade.

6. Alphonsus thread starter macrumors member

Yeah problem is 1500 is my limit, I'm 16 and although I am paying with my own money my parents were already shaky with me going to $1500

7. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

On a side note, being 17 years old and getting a brand new MBP that usually only Attorneys making hundreds of dollars an hour can afford .... is pretty remarkable.

8. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

Why not go for a 2015 model or a non-Touch Bar model? You'll save a little more that way and both are more than powerful enough for everyday tasks. Plus with the 2015 model you don't have to worry about USB-C dongles.

9. Alphonsus thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I work as a lifeguard in the summer so I make about $4800

10. maculateConception macrumors 6502

maculateConception

Gotcha. I think you should be fine with 8GB, at least for a few years.

11. Alphonsus thread starter macrumors member

Was thinking about it but not sure how long I will have the computer for or what I will need it for.

12. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

Either computer should last you for a long time, there's plenty of people here still rocking 2010 and 2011 MBPs and I used a 2007 white MacBook for over six years without much issue.

13. CaptRB macrumors 6502a

CaptRB

I own both the 15" and 13" touch bar models, so here are my thoughts:

1) The 13" with 8 GB is fine. It's a bit less snappy with big files vs. the 15", but still great and we're talking about using it with top tier Nikon and Canon cameras. Nikon and Canon are not about to release 100 MP cameras, so I don't think you'd be spec challenged for a long while. Lots people do fine with MacBook Airs with 4 GB on them.

2) The touch bar is nice, fun to use and functional. I'd prefer to have a real ESC key, but that's my only issue. Someone said they can't see it without looking down, but I can't see any situations/positions where you'd be working at that would happen. Looking down takes a millisecond and you adapt fast.

3) Don't listen to people trying to sell you on ancient 2015 models. They have inferior screens, speakers, touchpad and are bigger and heavier with slower SSD drives. I had a nice 2015 15" and once I had the 2016 model, out the door the 'old" machine went. The new machines make the last generation feel 5 years old...which is what they actually are. The USB-C ports are fast and more versatile too, so don't worry about that.

Bottom line: The 13" is a terrific and powerful student machine. If you get the refresh it will be a bit better or net you the current version for less.

Good luck,

R.

14. fennerwl macrumors newbie

I bought the new MBP without the touchbar. It's perfectly fine and the best Mac I have ever had.

15. Baunkjaer macrumors 6502

Baunkjaer

Well, I don´t concur on your statement. 2015 vs 2016 has a little speedbump, touchbar and USB-C. I know the latter is the future, but just not right now. As for the SSD, it´s so fast, that you need to do a speedtest so see the difference. During normal use, you won't notice any difference.
    Unless you really need the touchbar and USB-C, the OP would be more than just fine with a 2015 model - and save some hard-earned bucks.

16. AgentAnonymous macrumors member

AgentAnonymous

This is a fallacy. The fact that technology is always improving is not justification for a company to sell you old hardware even by the standards of now.

17. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

Get the 2015 model. Your money will go a little farther and the longevity is proven.

18. Pangalactic macrumors member

Had one for two month and returned it and am using a dell XPS now. It's a joke in current state. As computing forever on youtube put it - "This is what Louis Vuitton's interpretation of a laptop would look like - style over substance, form over function, and price over practicality".

And to people saying it's a great student laptop - the only good thing it's for is picking up the member of the opposite gender :D

19. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

Wow. If you can pick up with a laptop things have truly changed!

20. medulla macrumors regular

I got my first mac when I was about your age, maybe 16, that was about 10 years ago now. I used it for many many years and that's the point, Macs just last, for most of the time.

However I have the touch bar model now and honestly if I had a choice I'd just get rid of the touch bar and many would agree with me.
    If you can find a 2015 with better specifications at your price range, I think that'd be a much better bet. We'll see what happens after WWDC and good luck.

21. leman macrumors 604

In my opinion, the 2016 MBP is the best laptop Apple has ever produced and probably the best overall laptop on the market considering the balance of features. It is somehow disproportionatedly expensive, but then again, you can't get a laptop like this for any other price.

The XPS 15" is also a nice computer with very good price/performance ratio. Its GPU is better optimized for gaming, if you care about that thing. It doesn't have the battery life or the connectivity of the MBP, but I didn't know how important it is for you.

22. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

What a world we live in where 2015 laptops are considered "ancient".

23. CaptRB macrumors 6502a

CaptRB

As I said in another thread, you have to beware of people here to complain, to tell stories and to bash Apple for not building the machine THEY wanted.

The silliness flies fast and furious here. A good example is the fellow claiming you can't tell the difference in SSD speeds. Patently false to the point where you immediately have to question the motives of anyone saying so.

I use Photoshop along with Lightroom. My cameras include D500 and D810 and I process mainly RAW files. Based on the lies I had read here I expected my 2015 MBP to be about the same as my new Touchbar, but here are the key differences...

For photography...
    1) The 2016 opened groups of files FASTER, while the 2015 bogged down after 5 or 6 files from a Nikon D810.
    2) The 2016 allowed me to work on MORE files at the same time.
    3) The 2016 higher contrast screen allowed better and easier location work with photos.
    4) The larger trackpad allowed (for the 1st time ever) proper editing using photoshop without the need for an external mouse or pad.

For writing...
    1) Once you're used to it, chances are that you'll like the new keyboard better. Most people do and that's a fact.
    2) If you work in bright rooms...or dark ones, the superior screen does make a difference. Higher contrast has me using less screen brightness indoors than the 2015 (which is why it always bested my 2015 for battery life). Outdoors there's no defense of the 2015 at all. I can use the 2016 better poolside or at a location on a sunny day.

For a student...
    1) Lighter, easier to carry
    2) connects to anything and everything on Earth for a few bucks.
    3) Beautiful design, fit and finish.
    4) Touchbar is nice when using programs like FCP to do school videos, as my son just discovered.

In the end you have to sift through a lot of nonsense in forums like this. I own 3 displays, 2 large format professional printers, a laser printer, various cameras that are used tethered, external SSD and standard drives, thumb drives...it all works flawlessly with USB-C, even my old DVD drives!

Stay away from the 2015 models. They are solid, but still clunky dinosaurs. They're also not cool for a 16 year old! My son is about to turn 13 and he's getting a touchbar model for his birthday. Even his school has bought touchbar units, so it makes more sense. Don't get caught up in the past because a small group of people want to stick with what's comfortable for them.

R.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 3, 2017 ---

The internal components were very good and hardly ancient, but the ergonomics and design were several years old. Once you spend some time with the new machines most folks get it. Apple isn't stupid. They tested the designs on a LOT of people prior to release.

Do you really think their group tests were 100% successful? Or do you think that they KNEW some people would not or could not adapt to the new designs, yet knew that overall market penetration would improve?

I've got family with Apple, so some of this I knew. But it still staggers me that so many people can't figure it out. They're even more surprised when they hear that the new machines have sold well. Apple isn't surprised at all.

R.

24. zaphodb3 macrumors member

I can appreciate the arguments for the latest model based on its specs, but trying to sell a budget-conscious 16-year old on the most expensive model because it's "cool" is gross. People are just now beginning to upgrade from their 2011-2013 models in 2017--- the 2015 model of the mbp is more than awesome and will comfortably carry you to 2019-2020.

Especially with the dropping prices, for $1500 you might be able to snag a 15-inch refurb from the apple store (in fact I'm seeing one now for $1700, not too far over-budget) or an even cheaper used one somewhere else, which will work like a dream. I have a mid-2014 myself and it's smooth as butter for most tasks-- I don't plan to upgrade for at least another year. The only issue you might have is with gaming, but if that's a serious issue then Apple wouldn't be the top choice in the first place.

25. leman macrumors 604

But on the other side, as USB-C gains popularity and wide-gamut media content becomes more commonplace, the 2015 model will feel more and more outdated... If the difference is "merely" few hundred $, I'd certainly recommend going for the 2016 model. If of course one can grab the 2015 laptop for much less money, why not.