Macbook Pro what ram and ssd disk to buy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by teigas, Sep 16, 2013.

1. teigas, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

teigas macrumors newbie

A friend of mine got a late MacBook Pro (17-inch, Late 2011) and wants to upgrade..

There is currently 2x4 gb ram in it now.

I googled and it seems like it supports 2x8g? Is that correct?
    If it does what brand should my friend buy ?
    A hardware shop her in norway has a memory guide and there theese show up: http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=772731
    Crucial DDR3 16GB 1333MHz SODIMM for Mac
    CL9 2x8GB 204pin 1.35/1.5V

When I asked the shop they said i could use these:
    http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=775129
    Kingston DDR3 1333MHz 16GB CL9
    2x8GB CL9

So wich one to choose? Or is it other brands that are better or worse?

When it comes to the SSD Disk , is this just plug and play? Out whit the old 2,5 and in with the new ssd disk?

They recomended buying the:
    Samsung SSD 840 PROSeries 128GB 2.5" OEM
    Basic Kit, MDX controller, 530/390MB/s Read/write
    http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=765948

Any help and tip in the right direction would be helpfull :) I am just helping my friend and more expirenced with windows based computers. So I am not sure what fits the mac best.

2. davidlv macrumors 65816

I have a late 2011 MBP 15" and I can confirm that 16GB does work. Just buy any of the major brands, I got Patriot at a good price and it is rock solid.
    As for SSDs, avoid using the optical bay, and install the SSD in the HD bay, you will need a good quality #00 philips head screwdriver and a #6 Torx driver for the HD lugs on the side of the HD.
    Careful with the tiny screws on the backplate, they like to roll off your desk and hide in the rug! :eek: Otherwise the switch is easy.
    Brands of SSD: I really like the Plextor brand, very Mac compatible and very good specs. Many people here like the Samsung brand (despite the company's rep, which is horrible here in Japan). I have seen good reviews of the SanDisk Extreme II, and there are other brands with good reviews too. Goggle "top rank SSD drives" or "SSD reviews" and read on.
    You really should consider at least a 256GB drive for several reasons; speed tends to be slower on the 128GB models, 128GB fills up very fast (I have a small iTunes library and a small collection of favorite movies and I use about half of my 256GB drive.) and so on.
    Hope that helps a little :cool:

3. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I have the Samsung 840 Pro and have been very happy with it. Had it in place for about 6 months now. I could never live with a 128gb drive. As mentioned, the 256 and 512 have better performance.

I like Crucial memory.

4. teigas thread starter macrumors newbie

----------