Macbook Pro what Samsung ssd Pro or evo?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by teigas, Sep 21, 2013.

1. teigas macrumors newbie

A friend of mine is going to put an ssd disk in his Macbook Pro 17 late 2011.

I have been recomended the Samsung 840 Pro 128 gb, for mac use.

I also see they sell Samsungs 840 evo 120 gb , a litle bit cheaper ? Whats the difference between theese two? The evo uses a nother type of storage memory thats not suppose to last so long that the pro?

Is the evo also mac friendly, as the 840 pro is suppose to be ? :) Or am i wrong her?

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I would recommend at least a 256gb drive. There is a performance difference. I personally went with the Pro in 512 because I needed the space.

3. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

4. ohkuipo, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013

ohkuipo macrumors member

The Evo is awesome. Don't worry about getting the "Pro" model, you really won't see a difference and the price isn't worth it. The pricing on the Evo models is great. Also, the Evo was created with a more modern fabrication process and is available in higher capacities.

5. dusk007, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013

dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

But that isn't a good thing. That TLC Nand is worse in every respect.
    That said I would still go for an Evo because of the price and the Turbowrite feature. But the advice about going for 250GB is a good one. 120GB has 140MB/s sustained writes the 250GB version has double 270MB/s. The 120GB just doesn't have all channels of the controller utilized. Turbowrite buffer is 3GB and that writes with 410MB/s so it isn't a huge issue unless you write big files.

The 120GB Pro has 64Gbit chips (more smaller chips keeps all channels on the controller utilized) so it is significantly faster on sustained writes but on the 250GB versions the difference isn't as noticeable.
    Pro Vesrion
    390 MB/s (128 GB)
    520 MB/s (256/512 GB)
    Evo sustained writes
    140 MB/s (120GB)
    270 MB/s (250GB)
    420 MB/s (512Gb-1TB)
    Turbowrites on Evo are 410MB/s for 120&250GB and 520MB/s for the bigger ones.

Turbowrite just runs part of the TLC memory as SLC which is used as a small fast write buffer. 3GB big in the case of 120/250GB.

I also always need a windows partition on a mac and with 120GB that is just too cramped.

6. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Evo. The Pro is more expensive by alot for a little (that's debatable) performance increase.

7. teigas thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, my friend chose the pro version. I told her it was her choice.

The next thing i am wondering about, since I only help with the hardware,and mostly uses windows. She do not have any osx cd . And its a late macbook pro 2011. I can always clone the old drive, but was thinking about starting fresh? Do you have to buy a new version of osx? how does this work? Does it come with cd keys like windows? Or could you borrow a OSX disk from sombody, and then do a fresh install?

8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

You can borrow the disk or just let it download itself from the web. The latter takes a long time if the internet isn't fast but you don't need a disk at all.

9. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

The last version of OS X to come on a disc was Snow Leopard (10.6). Since he doesn't have a disk, the machine likely came with Lion. You can't install an older version of OS X on a system that did not have it pre-installed. (Well you can, but it's a rather arduous process.)

If he has a copy of OS X Lion or Mountain Lion that was purchased from the Mac App Store, you can download it from there and use the free program Lion DiskMaker to make a bootable installer on an 8 GB or larger USB flash drive.

Failing that, Lion and Mountain Lion include built-in Internet recovery. Instructions on using this system are available here. For this, I would recommend using a wired/Ethernet connection (computer connected directly to the router or modem), as I've found WiFi to be slower and less reliable.

Good luck.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Pop in the new drive then do a command-option-r boot (hold all three keys at once). After selecting a wifi network an installer will DL then open. Then format the drive to Mac OS Extended using Disk Utility. Quit Disk Utility and click "Install OS" and prepare for a wait while it downloads the 4.7GB OS and installs it.