Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
I had the whine sometimes for the last month on my MacBook Pro, and when it came, all I had to do was open the mirror widget, and the close it, and it was gone. Now when I close it, the whine comes back and wont stop. All of a sudden. It makes no sense. Any ideas?

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
yes yesterday

has it caused other users problems with the whine? i restarted, and it wasnt a problem, but all of a sudden it seems to be now.

Mojo67821

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2006
I just bought a MBP two weeks ago and am not experiencing any whine at all... I've heard other users talk about it though, is it something that was fixed in newer versions?

Saluki Alex

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2006
Illinois
After G said:
What does the whine sound like? I have never heard it.

Like a whine. :p

In all honesty, it's a really high pitched whiney buzz. I might compare it to a TV, you know when a TV is on but it's muted and you can still hear something (an electronic buzz). It's basically a lot like that, only much more annoying and much louder.

iKat

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2006
Alexandria
I received my macbook this past friday (5/5) and I had none of the problems that were mentioned. I updated the firmware and the "cpu whine" barely, and I mean BARELY, became noticeable. The mirror widget solution worked for me, but I wouldn't even consider what I encountered to be a whine. Heat is an issue occasionally, but you need to remember a few things. A) The area above the F-keys is meant to dispell heat. B) The thing has a crazy processor in an aluminum case, it's obviously going to get warm. C) Macs run notoriously hot (I've asked quite a few Mac users, one with a 15" PB G4, the other with a 12" PB G4, both said that even before the "heat scandal" theirs ran hot). Now, if yours is running hot enough to burn you, there's an issue.. but I have yet to encounter that problem.

astral

macrumors member
May 9, 2005
I used Desinstaller to kill the keyboard update (which in turn also killed the isight), then i reinstalled 10.4.6 update and now the hacks work again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.