macbook pro whine ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ankushpatel, Jun 30, 2009.

1. ankushpatel macrumors regular

How many new macbook pro owners are hearing the macbook pro whine sound coming from the left near the speaker? is this normal? its getting very annoying. it stops for a min when i open an app or click or scroll.

2. ankushpatel thread starter macrumors regular

2009 1 week old macbook pro 15"

no definitly not the fan, b.c fans on the right and hard drive is right, this is like from the processor, on the left, really close to the speaker on the left. Its a whinning like very quiet whine noise that is constant, it stops when the computer opens something or scroll down, but its very annoying. I think older people cant hear it thats why no one is complaining about it lol.

3. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Pretty sure the 15" has a fan on each side but if its not that, then I am not sure.

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Check your screen brightness - another thread on the boards talked of a whine coming from the screen set at half to 3/4 brightness - turn up and down brightness whilst listneing might help identify it.

5. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

What is it whining about? SD slots? Express Slots? FW? Glass screens? Chicklet keys? Bad game performance?

6. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I thought it was the fan too. Don't rule out a bad fan on the left just because the one on the right works fine. To my understand we have them on both sides, and it could just be the left side that is defective.

7. David G. macrumors 6502a

I have the same whining sound on my 2.4 GHz WhiteBook. Hmph.:(

8. ankushpatel thread starter macrumors regular

whine

the whine happens, when doing anything, its not happening just on something specific. but it stops for a second when i open and app or scroll down. i tried different things like taking off the power cord, or lowering brightness or things like that but the sound still is going on. its not loud at all but i can hear it. I also asked my friend who has a white macbook and he can hear the same noise. My dads old macbook pro 17" has the noise.

whats the deal with this.

i called apple care today, spoke to 3 differnt guys and all of them just recommended to take it to a genius bar, so it must not be normal.

9. NSK123 macrumors regular

NSK123

Don't worry, the whine you are experiencing is actually coming from the MagSafe I have had 4 macbooks and they ALL had this whine in one extend or another, I actually returned an aluminiumMB because i though the whine was a defect but I guess not.

It's just the MagSafe making a low pitched static whine noise. There is no fix for it, if it's really loud of very noticeable I would either return it or have apple swap the magsafe thingy but is it really worth the hassle?
    My two previous blackbooks made this noise and my febuary AluMB made it, which i returned, now my 13" MBP also has this magsafe whine.. If you put your ear to the magsafe you will know.
    But seriously dude, just forget about the noise, in my experience most macbooks have the whine noise from the magsafe of the left side as you said yourself, your dads macbook also has the noise.

Acutally having apple fiddle with it could just make it worse.

10. greenmeanie macrumors 6502a

greenmeanie

I thought Intel fixed that processor whine?
    I use to have to run a program on my Dell to keep a load on the cpu to stop the whine 2 years ago.
    It is annoying once your hear it.

11. Halamolo macrumors regular

BIG FAIL by Apple!

This whine is probably in every MacBook. What a shame!

I just returned three 17" MacBook Pros, because all of them had it. Was a big deal breaker for me, ´cause I work in very quiet room and literally this tinnitus whine was making my head explode. After five minutes of listening to it, I couldn´t see straight. Adjusting the Brightness around to 40% or below would make the whine go away, but then the screen would be too dark, doh! I could even have a littlebit more fan noise, but that high pitched whine was just DEATH! No joke!

And now the 3GS has a same kind of tinnitus whine too!!! :eek: :apple: WTF Apple???

http://theappleblog.com/2009/06/22/problem-solution-iphone-3g-s-video-and-the-not-so-fine-whine/

12. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

I think the OP was talking about something different, given his/her explanation a few posts before,

But I feel your pain dude! I ended up just returning mine cause I couldn't work with that high pitched whine either! Going to try and buy again either this weekend or next, hopefully it'll have been worked out by then!

13. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

I'm thinking it might be fan related, though, the magsafe is a possible culprit as I've heard something that could be considered a whine coming from the magsafe as well as other apple made power adapters.

When you say you remove the power cord, are you just disconnecting the cord from the computer or are you actually unplugging the adapter? How close is the power brick in relation to you? Are you using the extension cable or are you plugging it straight into an outlet.

In any case, I would just take it in as this is something I don't think you'll be able to get much help with on here since, of course, none of us can hear it.

14. mathlete123 macrumors member

I hear it too!

I also have this problem, with a 2.4 uMB. It is very annoying, but at the same time rarely noticeable. I only heard this when the house around me was entirely silent. From up close, it sounds very similar to "Sound Grenade" on low volume. It is much more noticeable near the magsafe port, but that may be a coincidence. Let me try with it plugged in.

15. ankushpatel thread starter macrumors regular

whine

Hey, what i have realized is depending on how old you are, you can hear it if your younger and not so much if your older. thats why there are not that many posts on it. that said, my sisters new macbook 13" does not have the sound.

heres exactly what happens. lets say i have the magsafe adapter in and the macbook pro is charging / or charged, the sound is litte louder and it comes from the left corner, right near the speaker. its a small electric whine, and when the computer thinks or even if you open and application up and you have your ear near the whine it stops for a second and then continues. NOW, when the power cord is out and not connected to the macbook pro the whine is present BUT NOT SO LOUD. I have to put my ear to the machine to hear it.

basically how i see it is, okay so some people may say its only a quiet whine get over it, but i can hear it really well and it gets annoying after a while. after you pay 2000 for the best laptop u dont expect this.

ill take it to the genius bar like you guys recommended and see whats up. if he says all them have it and if he takes me around and proves it then ill keep it otherwise theres no point trying a new one and having the same issue.

16. ankushpatel thread starter macrumors regular

hey guys

Hey, what i have realized is depending on how old you are, you can hear it if your younger and not so much if your older. thats why there are not that many posts on it. that said, my sisters new macbook 13" does not have the sound.

heres exactly what happens. lets say i have the magsafe adapter in and the macbook pro is charging / or charged, the sound is litte louder and it comes from the left corner, right near the speaker. its a small electric whine, and when the computer thinks or even if you open and application up and you have your ear near the whine it stops for a second and then continues. NOW, when the power cord is out and not connected to the macbook pro the whine is present BUT NOT SO LOUD. I have to put my ear to the machine to hear it.

basically how i see it is, okay so some people may say its only a quiet whine get over it, but i can hear it really well and it gets annoying after a while. after you pay 2000 for the best laptop u dont expect this.

ill take it to the genius bar like you guys recommended and see whats up. if he says all them have it and if he takes me around and proves it then ill keep it otherwise theres no point trying a new one and having the same issue.

17. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

And what exactly are you classifying as "Older"? What age?

18. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Mine has a small rattling noise, in addition to the roaring chainsaw noise that already comes when the fans throttle up to ~3000 RPM. In the top left hand corner, there is only a fan, and the GPU. I know this because I'm one of those people who just tear down any new computer they buy.

19. ankushpatel thread starter macrumors regular

whine

idk im no scientist to say what is old or what is young. but my teacher who is 55 cant hear a tv hiss when its left on and both my parents who are in their 40's cant hear the tv hiss either.... and lol my dad's electric hiss from his macbook pro you can hear it very WELL and he has not even mentioned it, so i guess he cant hear it either.

this is no fan problem for sure.

20. vader26 macrumors regular

I definitely have the same issue on my new uMBP 15". When I hear the whine if I move the computer around the sound changes and disappears in some cases. Next time I hear it I will listen close to the magsafe to see if that is where it is coming from, but it seems to be coming from just right of the left speaker...

21. Benjic macrumors regular

You're gonna hear the whining as long as you're on these forums.

Ba-dum Tssh!

Anyway, yea, my new AG 17" has a slight electronic whine to it on the left side, but only when my brightness is at around 2/3 up. It maybe the LEDs putting the sounds off, but I'm no expert on it.

22. EMKarelia macrumors regular

EMKarelia

What are you talking about? Fans are on both sides. [​IMG]

23. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    What are you talking about, try reading the thread before posting... :rolleyes:

24. NSK123 macrumors regular

NSK123

Do I really have to repeat this? it is not the fans or harddrive or whatever the noise you are hearing is from the MAGSAFE itself.. which is located on the left side of the laptop.

sometimes it will emite a low whine noise or even a cracking whine noise.. There is nothing you can do about it people so get over it, it's an apple problem, the best they will do if you whine about it at the applestore is that they will try to replace it, which will NOT solve the problem.

It's not worth obsessing about because ALOT of people have this.. and you're right it depends on age and how well people can hear noises that determine if people can hear it or not.