Macbook Pro - White Boot Up Screen

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Rure, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Rure macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook pro running on Leopard (Don’t remember the specs clearly but if you need it I can find it) and I was experiencing slow performance of Finder so I decided to reboot it to solve the issue.

After rebooting, I’m stuck on a white boot screen for a prolonged period of time. Eventually, I get sent to my partitioned Windows hard drive. I found it strange and I did another reboot. While holding down the option key I could only see my mouse and the partitioned Windows hard drive. My OSX Hard drive disappeared?

I did some searching online and found someone with a similar issue, and they were told to insert the installation disk. Will this solve my problem? How do you boot from the disk? Do you hold down the option key and select it from there? And which installation should I choose? I don’t want to erase any of my previous data and information on the OSX hard drive.

Thank you~

2. i-am-waiting macrumors member

Hold 'c' to boot from install disc. Repair permissions/disk.

3. Rure thread starter macrumors newbie

I booted from my install disk and I ran the Disk Repair on my Macintosh HD.

I ended up with a lot of "Invalid Node Structure's" and "Invalid Record Count"
    (Picture Attached)

I left it overnight to continue 'repairing', and in the morning after it completed, the software told me that the disk could not be repaired and that I need to backup and restore the harddrive.

Do I have any other solutions? Or am I stuck with just backing up whatever I can and restoring?

Attached Files:

4. celticpride678

5. Rure thread starter macrumors newbie

Is this doing an Archive and Install? If I do this will my data and files still be present after the installation?

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

No, that's not the correct solution here...

If that would work here, then the answers to those questions would be Yes and Yes.

However, you need a tool like DiskWarrior to repair your disk. Your other option would be to back everything up and wipe the drive. DiskWarrior costs $99, but it will almost certainly be able to fix the issue (unless the drive is actually failing, but those problems usually just indicate data corruption).

jW

7. Rure thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. This has been the most helpful reponse on the forum.