Macbook Pro Wi-Fi Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Redstoneq42, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Redstoneq42 macrumors newbie

I've got a Mid 2014 model Macbook Pro Retina that just will not quit with its Wi-Fi issues. Its been happening since a few months after I bought it. The Wi-Fi just grinds to a halt. No error messages or anything, it just basically stops loading webpages. If I open a link to a youtube video, sometimes it will load fine and at full speed, other times it will load the page but the video will load at about 1 second per 30 seconds of actual time, more times it just display a white page on chrome with a loading symbol on the tab and this can last for 10+ minutes. Sometimes webpages will fail to load and give an error about no DNS. I forget what it says. I see it so much I tend to just ignore it and haven't read it in months. Sometimes, this issue might not present itself for weeks, then all of a sudden its happening 24/7. It took me just shy of 7 minutes to go from the Macbook Pro forum on here to the Create Thread page, despite having a 40Mbps internet connection.

Sometimes I'll test it with speedtest and I'll be getting ~0.5Mbps. Immediately after testing, my PC will get a solid 38Mbps over Wi-Fi or Ethernet. Same goes with my phone. It just seems to be my Macbook that gets slow over Wi-Fi. When the issue is happening, I've tried pinging google.com with the Network Utility and more often than not, I get really high Ping on some of the packets and I usually get a lot of packet loss. If the issue isn't there, I get very low ping and zero packet loss.

I've been updated it every time there has been an update right until the release of OS Sierra (Still on El Capitan out of fear of things getting worse). No update has made any difference.

I've tried every solution from every article from the first 10 pages of google and I've tried every youtube video under the sun. I'm really at my wits end. Its driving me insane. Nothing would bring me more satisfaction at the time of writing this than to take my Macbook outside, put it under the wheel of my car and run it over a thousand times before hanging it off a tree and shooting it a dozen times with a shotgun. I'm tired of it. I just want it to work.

2. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Sounds like an issue with your wifi access point. And before you say that it works with everything else, in my experience there's a bit of voodoo involved. I've had two devices that just wouldn't play nicely together, but swapping the access point (if that's something you can do) can make the difference.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Also, try if turning off bluetooth (on MBP) will make any difference.

4. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Do you connect to a 2.4GHz network, or a 5GHz network?

5. Redstoneq42 thread starter macrumors newbie

Bluetooth is off and I'm connected to a 2.4Ghz network. I've had my modem/router combo box replaced twice. Once when we changed from ADSL to VDSL and once again when I thought that it might be the cause of this issue. On the second time, I got the same model as a replacement.

6. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Is there any other wireless stuff in the same area? e.g. Wireless 5.1 Hi-Fi system.

Anyway, the very 1st thing I will try is to manually set the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi channel to 11 (If that's auto at this moment). That gives you extra clearance from the other wireless system than using BT.

Also, if you use USB 3.0 device, that can also interfere the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network.

7. Redstoneq42 thread starter macrumors newbie

There are no other Wireless connections nearby, so no interference from other routers. All the wireless devices in my home would be my Phone, my Macbook, my dads Macbook and possibly my Playstation (although that only gets powered on every few months). I've also got my Xbox and PC connected via Ethernet at the moment.

The only other possible causes of interference would be our landline phone, but that is rarely used and sort of out of the way.

Just to say, my dads Macbook is a September 2009 model and it has no issues.

8. Redstoneq42 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks John, but I've tried doing almost everything that first post said. No good. I'm starting to think my Mac is just cursed.

9. JohnDS macrumors 65816

There is always a possibility of a hardware problem, like a loose antenna wire, for instance.

10. Redstoneq42 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've replaced the little wifi/bluetooth module already. My ISP has new router out in the last few weeks, so I'm going to try and get my hands on that. I'm really just firing shots in the dark hoping to hit a solution.