Macbook Pro wierd boot cycle?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by andersand1000, Mar 17, 2011.

1. andersand1000 macrumors newbie

Recently my macbook pro 15" took a small hit of some sorts, and since then it has appeared with a blank screen. When I turn it on, you can hear the fan and everything (no chime though) but the briefly the initial start up noise.. but then nothing happens and the small power-light glows dimly. After a around 30-40 seconds (maybe more) its as if, someone pressed the "Power" button once more, cause it seems it tries to start-up again.. but to no avail. This cycle continues until battery is flat.

Do you guys have any idea what it could be? A failed logic board or.. ? I really hope the HD isn't done for..
    I've tried rebooting in Safe-mode, and followed guidelines from other threads on these boards) etc.

Thanks in advance!
    Anders

2. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Sounds like the same issue I had with my 2011 MBP. I had it replaced. But I didn't drop it. They said the HD was damaged/faulty. This sounds exactly the same as mine. So maybe the HD?

3. andersand1000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, okay thx.. mine is a MBP from 2008 (a bit old, but had been running completely fine).. so first of, the warranty has expired.. second, I sure do hope the HD is salvageable. Your HD was just damaged beyond saving, you say?

4. simsaladimbamba

Can you run Disk Utility from the Restore/Installation/Upgrade DVD (for Mac OS X) and VERIFY and REPAIR your disk?

5. andersand1000 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried popping in the Install Disc (should I press anything whilst?) and I can hear the cd loading/running .. but the screen is still completely black (no light on keyboard either). And after around 30 seconds, the Cd tries to reload ... this continues over and over.

6. simsaladimbamba

Hold the OPTION key down or the "C" after the startup sound chimes.

7. andersand1000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I've tried doing this - and following the troubleshooting guide.. but still nothing.

Basically it reacts when I hit the power-button, but no startup-chime or light on the screen display. It just sounds as if the computer tries to start up, over and over again. But obviously.. not succeeding.