Macbook pro WiFi issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheAnvil, Aug 5, 2016.

1. TheAnvil macrumors regular

I am having issues with my WiFi, this is a recent problem which has been around for about a week.

About every other time I bring my laptop out of sleep the wifi won't be working, the icon will be rolling and rolling but nothing will come of it. Turning WiFi off and then on again usually fixes this, but sometimes I won't be able to get a connection unless I restart.

Is this a common issue?
    Could it be something caused by a recent update?

How do I get to the root of the issues?

rMBP 13" Early 2015 running OS X 10.11.6 (15G31)

2. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

FWIW, my '13 MBA does the same thing on 10.11.6 and has been doing so since at least one or two updates prior, maybe even since first installing El Capitan. I have to unplug my modem and once it loads back up the wifi connects. No idea to a solution, but it's not like machine specific if that helps at all..

I've just been hoping Sierra fixes it when it releases since I have absolutely no idea what causes it.

3. jerryk macrumors 68020

One cause could be interference on the channel. If you a 2.4Ghz wifi you only have 4 or 3 non-overlapping channels (1,6,11,14) (14 not available in US). If you have a multiple router/access point nearby you can get into a situation where the signals from the devices step on each other. I have seen it happens that it works fine one day and then the apartment next door gets a new router (or resets the router) and this type of problem occurs. Heck I have even done it to myself by installing access points/router too close (I have 3 in my house).

If your router has the option, try to connect to the 5 GHz channels. All of those are non-overlapping.

You can verify interference with an app (phone and maybe mac) that shows Wifi signal strength. Or see if it happens at Starbucks or McDonald's.

Option 2 is the Wifi card is failing. You can run diagnostics and see if it shows anything.

Best of luck with your troubleshooting.

4. TheAnvil thread starter macrumors regular

Issue persists at my university also, so I doubt it's an interference thing.

5. MC6800 macrumors 6502