MacBook Pro Wifi Signal Booster

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rckclmbr, Sep 5, 2011.

1. rckclmbr macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm looking for something to help my MacBook Pro's wifi reception (possibly a USB antenna?). I need to connect to wifi with WPA2 Enterprise security (I obviously have a username and password to connect to it). My other roommates without Apple computers are able to connect to it, so I don't need a super strong antenna, since I know the signal isn't too weak or far off.

If anyone could offer some specific products to look into, it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm currently running Lion, in case that makes any difference.

Thanks!

2. AFPoster macrumors 65816

See what your roommates are using and try it out.

3. rckclmbr thread starter macrumors newbie

The roommates without Apple computers are able to connect without a problem, but myself and another roommate with a MBP aren't. They aren't using anything special, their computers can just connect themselves.

4. nicklad, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011

nicklad macrumors 6502

So you've deduced this is a SNR issue how exactly? It's far more likely you've got an 802.1X configuration or compatibility issue.

What EAP type are you using for 802.1X? PEAP with MS-CHAPv2?

Have you got an 802.1X profile installed for the network, often required for Lion?

5. rckclmbr thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm trying to connect to my college's wifi network. It works fine when I'm in buildings that are supposed to have wifi, but the signal in my dorm room isn't strong enough for my MBP to pick up. A building with wifi is right next door, and my roommates connect to it easily if they use a non-Apple computer. Apple computers (my computer and other roommates') are able to connect, but the connection goes in and out, and is very slow. Therefore, if I can find some kind of antenna to boost my signal, I should be able to use the wifi easily. That's how I came to that conclusion.

6. jwksmith macrumors member

Check the signal strength. Click on the radar like icon in the menu bar. If it is good, you have a network problem.

The only USB solution would be to use a USB network card instead of the built in Apple one. You would have to find one that works with Mac. I don't think there is any way to boost the RF without hooking up to the internal antenna.

You might get Apple to look at it if the signal is low. Maybe there is something wrong with your antenna. My mac seems as good as my Dell laptop.

7. Inside_line macrumors regular

There's nothing strange about this, everyone knows apple wifi sucks compared to the rest of the world. It has been getting steadily better though... the 2011 has dramatic improvements in hardware.

Might try to check out quickertek products.

That or hardwire to a PC that actually gets a decent connection :p

8. TracyFord macrumors newbie

Quickertek

Personally, I would avoid Quickertek like the plague. I once spent $300 for a 1-watt wifi tranceiver from them and never could get it to work. Their tech support was nothing short of insulting. They were rude and didn't seem to know how their own products were suppose to work. They eventually said that I must have a defective unit. Had to send it back (at my expense) only to have it returned (minus the included usb cable that I sent with it) with no explanation. Still didn't work. I called three times after that to ask for some help and was hung up on every time. Those people suck. I lost $300 dealing with those amateurs.

9. pallidun macrumors newbie

Dont do it when it comes too quickertek, their frauds

This company is a fraudulent manufacturer. I bought the wifi signal boost product integrated into the 2 TB Apple time capsule and when I received the product not only did not work but it also was not integrated as advertised(wires hanging out, connections bad etc) I return all items the day after I got them in their original packages (some still in shrink-wrap) paid for the freight back too them myself and then proceed to chase them for my $900 dollars for two years, they do not answer phones, the do not return messages . The owner Mr Estee's basically told me to get a lawyer and he still kept the product i returned to them. Even the Kansas AG couldn't understand how they stay in business. I would not buy anything from this organization. Worst internet buying experience of my life.

10. supersize macrumors member

Bearextender

I used one of these in my old apartment and it worked great I could pick up wifi from several blocks away.