MacBook Pro - Will a Dent from a drop void Applecare for major failure?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by polisciguy12, Jan 6, 2010.

1. polisciguy12 macrumors newbie

So here is my situation:

About 2 years so I dropped my MacBook Pro - and there is now a small dent in the opening of the superdrive, but for the last two years everything has worked great without any problems.

I have had it serviced twice for other issues (dead battery and software issue) and they did not ask/say anything about the dent since it was completely unrelated to the current issue.

Now - my computer will not boot at all - not in safe mode, not from a DVD, no boot at all which means there is a major hardware failure. Since I have no way to document that the dent happened 2 years ago - will they charge me for the repair?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Impossible to say. If the tech who opens up your machine decides that the cause of the failure is the dent then you're SOL.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Your best bet is to bring it to your local authorized apple dealer or apple store and deal with the issue with them. I mean we can say yes, your warranty is voided or no, it has no bearing but in the end, its apple that will have the final say.

4. lPHONE macrumors 6502a

lPHONE

I'm sorry but that is NOT your best bet.
    If you take an Apple product to a retail store with physical damage they will take down your serial number and VOID your Apple Care in the system.

5. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

They will try to give any reason to not give you warranty service so you may not be able to get warranty. You could always just casually talk to someone in the apple store or apple sales and service on the phone.

6. miata macrumors 6502

I guess it depends on how big the dent is. Maybe I'm naive, but if the problem is with the failed CPU on the circuit board I don't see how they can blame that on a dent.