MacBook Pro will no longer connect to router?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nsherlock23, Jun 16, 2013.

1. nsherlock23 macrumors newbie

I have two cell phones and an iMac that are connected to our router just fine, so I know the issue is with my Macbook Pro, which is about 5 years old but is running Lion.

Yesterday I was using it, ran a software update, then restarted. After booting back up, I couldn't connect to the router -- I got an error message that said "Connection timed out." Like I said, every other machine connected to the router is working properly.

After some googling, someone recommended deleting it from the keychain and then re-entering the password. I did that, but now I simply get an error message that says "connection failed." I have no idea what to try next.

Thanks in advance. (Also, please talk slowly... I'm not all that tech savvy.)

2. drsox, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2013

drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Do you have a USB or TB Ethernet adaptor ? Have you tried connecting using that and a LAN cable ?
    Have you checked that the WiFi settings on the MBP match the settings needed on your router ?
    In the WiFi settings on the MBP, is the MBP actually getting an IP address from the router ?

Do you understand all this ? Do you understand what I am trying to establish with these questions ?