Macbook Pro will not boot - any advice??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bootsanford, Feb 2, 2014.

1. bootsanford macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a 2007 15" Macbook Pro (still running Snow Leopard). When I turn the power on, it goes directly into safe mode; however, it never finishes loading. The grey screen with the safe boot appears, but after about a minute the screen always goes black, but the hard drive is still running. I've tried letting it boot like this for over an hour to see if anything will happen, but nothing. I've also reset the SMC and PRAM, but neither has helped the situation.

Has anyone experienced a problem like this? Any ideas as to what the problem might be, or, more importantly, how to fix it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

2. Fairfax macrumors member

I had this problem before, the logic board basically died, a replacement logic board fixed the problem.

3. bootsanford thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Fairfax,

Hmm, I was hoping that wouldn't be the problem.....

So were you able to replace it on your own? I've never replaced one before and wondering if it is pretty straightforward once everything is taken apart.

Thank you,

4. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Most likely, it's the GPU that failed. It's got the 8600m GT in it and it has basically a 100% failure rate due to the solder and heat cycling.

You may be able to revive it via baking the logic board, or by getting a replacement board, but those will fail too and simply aren't worth the cost. I sold mine last month for $350 in near perfect condition because I was afraid of the GPU failing at some point.

I'd give it a shot by baking it, or if you happen to know someone with a reflow station that'd be even better, lol.

Otherwise, I'd aim to replace it, either new, refurnished, or used. I've gotten a few off eBay myself ranging from Late '08 models to mid 2010. Decent price, good performance, no dead GPU. Though some still have issues with that (2011 ATI cards).