Macbook Pro will not boot or get passed the Apple Logo

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cap2587, May 7, 2013.

1. cap2587 macrumors regular

I have a Macbook Pro that I am going to fix for a friend. it looks like It has a failing hard drive, but not 100% sure. It starts and gets stuck at the spinning wheel and Apple Log then shuts off after 20 sec. I have tried to boot in verbose and safe mode, but both do not work. TRied to repair permissions using disk utility, but no luck. My friend did back up using Time machine. I would like to make another back up just to make sure. Should I make a full image of the hard drive using disk utility and an external HD or is there 3rd party software that maybe better. How can I find out my exact model and specs of my Macbook Pro A1278? It has the battery built into the back of the computer. I could buy a new hard drive and install Lion and see if that works. Do I need a special screw driver to remove these screws. Just had a bad experience with stripping some Macbook Air screws and had to drill them out. Thanks for any advice.

2. Sambolero macrumors newbie

Hi !

To change HD you use the Phillips 00 screwdriver that you need to open the MBP.
    Google the Serial Numbers on the RAM Slot and you will find the exact model and specification of the logic board.
    Did you try to boot external e.g. from USB ? Reinstall OSX ?

Cheers,
    Sambolero