MacBook Pro will not boot up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by milzay, Dec 26, 2008.

1. milzay macrumors member

Hi all,

A few days ago my MBP (I think one of the first models to come out- 2ghz core duo, not core 2 duo) froze and would not boot up, getting stuck on the grey screen with the apple logo. I tried inserting my 10.5 installation disc, repairing disk permissions and the disk itself (although it returned no problems). This still did not solve the problem, so I installed 10.5 onto an external hard drive, so I could move files from my internal HD to the external HD. Unfortunately, only small files are able to be transferred. Whenever I seem to try and transfer anything over about 20mb, I receive error code 36 ('the finder cannot complete the operation because some of the data...'). So, basically am I completely f*cked or is there a way I can transfer my data to an external hard drive. Or a solution to any of the problems I have mentioned.

Also forgot to mention I did try to 'archive and install' on my internal HD, however it gets part way through the installation and fails.

Thanks.
    _________

2. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

Maybe you hard drive is smoked. you should take it off and put it in a external enclosure. you did not said if you tried to boot your laptop using the system you installed onto the external, did you?

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

If you've got another Mac nearby, try connecting the two via Firewire Target Disk Mode. Using a six-to-six pin Firewire cable, connect the two computers together. With your MacBook Pro turned off, boot it up while holding down the letter "T" on the keyboard.

Your hard drive should appear on the Desktop of the Mac it's connected to. Try transferring your files that way to the other machine, before everything is gone for good.

If that doesn't work, your hard drive may be done for. As a backup, if you've got AppleCare on your machine, you could try giving them a call. No promises though.