MacBook Pro will not connect to my Linksys

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Elve82, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Elve82 macrumors newbie

Seems like I have tried, everything, from changing router to WPA, messing with the settings under network preferences. Apple support on the phone cannot help me, I exhausted all the options they have to say. I am trying to hook up my MacBook Pro to my home wireless which uses a Linksys router (Model #WRT54G). The MacBook recognizes my wireless network but by airport under network preferences, the dot is yellow and it says no IP address. I take that is the problem somewhere.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Is DHCP turned on in the router settings? What is your Mac's current IP address?

3. Elve82 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Elve82 thread starter macrumors newbie

the ip address i have now is probably my work's wireless I am on right now, I will get back to you on what the ip address says when I cannot hook up at home

5. drambuie, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011

drambuie macrumors 6502a

Can you connect to the Linksys by wired LAN? My recommendation is that you use fixed IP addresses when connecting to your Linksys. Your 54G can accept both DHCP and fixed addresses if you define the required range of DHCP and use fixed addresses outside that range, but in the same subnet. The default Linksys subnet is 192.168.1.xxx. You will need 2 IP addresses, one for LAN, and one for WiFi. I have a 15" MBP with a WRT54GS, and have found fixed addresses to be best, especially if you have LAN printers. One advantage of Airport on the MBP is that you can set up locations with totally different WiFi and LAN configurations.

Also, have you told the 54G to accept the MBP's MAC address for connection? You do that on the 54G at the Wireless MAC Filter option in the Wireless tab.

6. crypticlineage macrumors regular

You may also want to change the router software to dd-wrt. Open source solution that provides excellent security and functionality compared with the crappy linksys software.

7. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Which version is the router? There were a few versions of that router that were just junk.

I run a small wireless ISP, and from what I have seen if you are having problems getting your MBP connected to your linksys, even if you get it connected you are going to continue to see problems with it dropping and getting re-connected. Case in point, I had a linksys router (wrt54g2) that I constantly had trouble with. It would drop my connection constantly. Nothing I did ever fixed it. The only solution that worked was to replace the router. Im not sure if it was certain wireless "card" in that particular router that wasn't compatible or what.

Got an Airport Extreme and havent had a problem since.