Macbook pro will not shut down proper

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr M5, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Mr M5 macrumors regular

For some reason on top of the Lion problems I have now the computer will not shut down proper. When you click the shut down option and uncheck the box to load everything open, the computer tries to shut down but it just sticks on the white screen and spinning circle and will not truly turn off.

Anybody have any idea's?

Thanks for your help.

2. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

I tried to do a disk repair and the following is what came up, it means nothing to me but perhaps some of you guys?

Verifying permissions for “Macintosh HD”
    ACL found but not expected on “private/etc/apache2/users”
    Warning: SUID file “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent” has been modified and will not be repaired.
    ACL found but not expected on “System/Library/Keychains/X509Anchors”
    ACL found but not expected on “private/var/db/launchd.db/com.apple.launchd”
    ACL found but not expected on “private/var/yp/binding”

Permissions verification complete

3. smeg36 macrumors regular

I'm having this same problem, sporadically, on my 2010 15" MBP. I can't figure out why it sometimes shuts down fine, and others freezes during shutdown. I've spent a lot of time searching through google results, and can't come up with a working solution. In addition to this, I also have random issues I never used to have. I'm not sure if mine is a Lion issue, or an issue with my MBP as I got rid of a 13" 2010 and got the 15" 2010 a few weeks before Lion came out.

4. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, from time to time I get the spinning wheel going too when trying to load programs. I feeling like Windows would be better at this point :(

You think if I take it to the genius bar they could figure it out?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

6. mercury09 macrumors newbie

I dont think it's an issue on lion because I have this problem on leopard, then I upgrade my os to lion but the issue is still there. it really annoying. Every time I use mbp more than two hours, I cant shut it down properly. It just stuck on the white screen and kept spinning circle...I have to hold power button to shut it down. I have tried many solutions but none of them work. I can only shut down properly when I only use my laptop less than half hour or sometimes it can work. I found someone said it was parallel desktop's fault, but I have uninstalled it and it still can't work. Anyone have ideas about that?

7. smeg36 macrumors regular

It's possible, I do have Parallels installed. But this happens even when I haven't run the program since my last reboot.

8. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

Smeg,

Have you had any luck fixing your issues? I'm still having issues with mine and I'm not sure what to do.

9. smeg36 macrumors regular

Nope, still randomly has problems shutting down, and randomly freezes and has to be force rebooted.

10. ryanromine macrumors newbie

I, too, have the same problem. Not only on shut down, but also on a restart. I have tried a restore from Time Machine and the re-install of the OS. I guess next is to completely erase the HDD and install SL and update to Lion to see if the issue was with my install of Lion. If anyone finds a solution please post promptly! Thanks

11. Billy Buggs macrumors newbie

This worked for me

Make sure you've closed all open windows and applications that you may be using. Also, go into System Preferences, General, and remove the check from the box that states: "Restore windows when quitting...". you can also try unchecking the box that says "Reopen windows when logging back in" on shutdown confirmation. See if that helps.

Also, the first couple of times when shutting Lion down (especially if have open applications or windows) will take longer.

I expect they will fix this in a future upgrade. Surprised Microsoft hasn't filed a patent infringement suit over this already. Everyone knows Bill Gates holds an exclusive patent on "the do nothing loop".

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It doesn't help. Did you read the OP?

13. Billy Buggs macrumors newbie

Worked fine here

OP is describing a symptom of a fairly common shutdown problem where the machine hangs up with a spinning dervish on the gray screen. I don't see where the OP says they went into the prefs and changed the setting as I suggested in my previous post. The do mention unchecking the box at shutdown. That works sometimes but it doesn't always. Changing the prefs setting was the solid fix and now the machine shuts down normally every time.

I have 2 identical 3 month old 2.5 i7 MBP-15s running 10.7.3 one had this particular refusal to shutdown problem and the other never did. Found this advice on another mac forum and changed the setting on the affected machine. It solved the issue plain and simple. I didn't find the solution when I looked here so I came back to share my good fortune with the OP and others describing the same issue. Maybe it will help them solve their problem, maybe not. They will have to try it on their machine to find out for sure. Let's see what happens.

14. hugoroosevelt macrumors newbie

Macbook pro will not shut down proper

I found this and solved the problem!

1. Command + Option + Escape to close all applications if forced needed
    2. Sleep the computer
    3. Wake up the computer
    4. Restart
    5. Shut Down (in this step my mbp shut down just fine)

15. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

This seems to have helped thank you!

16. Dessiepoo macrumors newbie

That worked for me, thanks!

17. neversleep360 macrumors newbie

It is a workaround, not a fix.

This works... once. However it doesn't fix the problem, it only lets you cleanly shutdown one time. When I start my mbp again, then attempt to shutdown without using the steps above, it freezes up during shutdown.

The problem will be fixed when I can cleanly shutdown without four extra steps which take several minutes to complete.

Is there a way to diagnose and fix this problem?

18. Asger macrumors newbie

Any news?

It's a pretty annoying problem! Forcing your Mac to shutdown most times is seriously wrong! /: