Macbook Pro Will Not Sleep! Been Trying for about a 8 months. Lets SOLVE this.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by runofthedill, Apr 14, 2012.

1. runofthedill macrumors member

My macbook pro on Lion will not sleep, it was a problem on Snow Leopard as well and continued through the software upgrade. I've tried a lot of remedies and nothing ever works. The problem is that it just won't turn off with the lid open, every other way it will, just not with the lid open. So let's solve this.

It has to be some software im running but i can't figure it out for the life of me.

Ready to answer any questions.

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

3. simsaladimbamba

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You may find some useful ideas here:

Mac OS X: Why your Mac might not sleep or stay in sleep mode
    Determine why your Mac wakes up from sleep
    One sleep problem caused by printers - solved ... and another

5. sahnert macrumors 6502

I had this issue and discovered that it was due to some authentication software included with a Nik plugin for aperture. Do you have anything like that installed?

6. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Check in Energy Saver Preferences for both conditions: with the Battery and when connected with the Power Adapter.
    Maybe one of them is set to Never.

Or are you using/running a software called Caffeine?

Attached Files:

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i haves this problem before, open activity monitor, under all processes you should see a process called powerd force quit this and restart that usually fixes my sleep issues

8. blatopilot macrumors regular

Do you use itunes match or icloud?

Go to itunes and right click on the column headers. Select "icloud status". Is anything "waiting"?

I'm thinking itunes match and icloud are the problem here. They are embedded in ways most people don't know about.

9. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

I had the same issue, but now I use PleaseSleep.

A simple and resource light application, it will solve your problem OP.

10. runofthedill thread starter macrumors member

I've tried turning sharing off, ive checked the terminal for if anything was preventing sleep, i do have the program to force sleep but id prefer not to use that. I play songs out of itunes a lot and it still shuts off if music is playing.

11. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

What do you mean by I check in the Terminal?
    What check you did?

Check with the Console and Activity Monitor, messages/logs of things running and what is actually running.

12. runofthedill thread starter macrumors member

I checked the terminal using this.
    pmset -g assertions
    Nothing is preventing sleep.

Im not sure what exactly im looking for but im running only the activity monitor and firefox and this is what im showing.

4/15/12 12:31:02.349 PM com.apple.usbmuxd: _SendAttachNotification (thread 0x1012fc960): sending attach for device b8:17:c2:2f:0c:69@fe80::ba17:c2ff:fe2f:c69._apple-mobdev._tcp.local.: _GetAddrInfoReplyReceivedCallback matched.
    4/15/12 12:31:02.806 PM usbmuxd: _AMDeviceConnectByAddressAndPort (thread 0x102f81000): IPv4
    4/15/12 12:31:21.451 PM com.apple.usbmuxd: _SendDetachNotification (thread 0x1012fc960): sending detach for device b8:17:c2:2f:0c:69@fe80::ba17:c2ff:fe2f:c69._apple-mobdev._tcp.local.: _BrowseReplyReceivedCallback got bonjour removal.
    4/15/12 12:31:32.020 PM com.apple.usbmuxd: _SendAttachNotification (thread 0x1012fc960): sending attach for device b8:17:c2:2f:0c:69@fe80::ba17:c2ff:fe2f:c69._apple-mobdev._tcp.local.: _GetAddrInfoReplyReceivedCallback matched.
    4/15/12 12:31:32.830 PM usbmuxd: _AMDeviceConnectByAddressAndPort (thread 0x102f81000): IPv4
    4/15/12 12:32:15.904 PM com.apple.usbmuxd: _SendDetachNotification (thread 0x1012fc960): sending detach for device b8:17:c2:2f:0c:69@fe80::ba17:c2ff:fe2f:c69._apple-mobdev._tcp.local.: _BrowseReplyReceivedCallback got bonjour removal.
    4/15/12 12:32:22.997 PM com.apple.usbmuxd: _SendAttachNotification (thread 0x1012fc960): sending attach for device b8:17:c2:2f:0c:69@fe80::ba17:c2ff:fe2f:c69._apple-mobdev._tcp.local.: _GetAddrInfoReplyReceivedCallback matched.
    4/15/12 12:32:23.446 PM usbmuxd: _AMDeviceConnectByAddressAndPort (thread 0x104181000): IPv4
    4/15/12 12:33:06.782 PM com.apple.usbmuxd: _SendDetachNotification (thread 0x1012fc960): sending detach for device b8:17:c2:2f:0c:69@fe80::ba17:c2ff:fe2f:c69._apple-mobdev._tcp.local.: _BrowseReplyReceivedCallback got bonjour removal.
    4/15/12 12:33:19.294 PM com.apple.usbmuxd: _SendAttachNotification (thread 0x1012fc960): sending attach for device b8:17:c2:2f:0c:69@fe80::ba17:c2ff:fe2f:c69._apple-mobdev._tcp.local.: _GetAddrInfoReplyReceivedCallback matched.
    4/15/12 12:33:19.545 PM usbmuxd: _AMDeviceConnectByAddressAndPort (thread 0x102f81000): IPv4
    4/15/12 12:33:55.302 PM com.apple.usbmuxd: _SendDetachNotification (thread 0x1012fc960): sending detach for device b8:17:c2:2f:0c:69@fe80::ba17:c2ff:fe2f:c69._apple-mobdev._tcp.local.: _BrowseReplyReceivedCallback got bonjour removal.
    4/15/12 12:34:47.735 PM com.apple.usbmuxd: _SendAttachNotification (thread 0x1012fc960): sending attach for device b8:17:c2:2f:0c:69@fe80::ba17:c2ff:fe2f:c69._apple-mobdev._tcp.local.: _GetAddrInfoReplyReceivedCallback matched.
    4/15/12 12:34:48.778 PM usbmuxd: _AMDeviceConnectByAddressAndPort (thread 0x102f81000): IPv4

NOT REALLY SURE WHAT THIS USBMUXD STUFF IS.

13. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

14. runofthedill thread starter macrumors member

15. Final Hour macrumors newbie

Might be a long shot, check your printing queue, an old print job that is lingering has prevented a few machines from sleeping properly.

Again, just a possible solution - delete old print jobs and see if that helps.

16. runofthedill thread starter macrumors member

17. blatopilot macrumors regular

A non-technical note about what I have used to fix this problem:

The issue was syncing. I have an iphone 4s, a 15 MBP at home, a Mac Mini at home, and a Windows 7 machine at work. If you have an iphone (maybe any phone that you sync to your machine) and you are having problems with sleeping that could be more the problem than the computer.

icloud, mail, itunes match, wireless itunes sync, adress book, calendar, notes, reminders, and Safari are just a few things that talk to each other when you sync.

Here is my example: I plug my iphone via usb at work on my windows machine to charge. Somewhere over time, it started syncing or at least partly syncing. I also used icloud for my iphone backups at home. What ended up happening was my work machine had a set of contacts, my MBP had a set of contacts, icloud had a set of contacts, my iphone had a set of contacts and my address book widget had a set of contacts! Regardless if the information is identical, they all wanted to talk to each other. Same for calendars and email accounts etc...They will not be happy until they complete the loop.

My advice: Back up everything. Every machine, every device have a backup, preferably 2. If you use icloud or itunes match delete the account off your iphone (you can get all this back via your backup or the cloud). On your Mac, purge your contacts, calendars, mail, notes etc...You can pull this all back from your backup or gmail or throw some things out you don't need. Once you have everything cleaned up begin formulating your syncing and backup strategy. I think the best route is the freshest start possible. One mistep, one app, one machine, one account etc can mess up the loop. Troubleshooting this many variables is pretty difficult, so I say get rid of as many as possible.

1). Keep in mind there are applications that want to each other that you may not realize are trying to. I see a lot of people with dock errors...Address book and calendar widgets are the likely problem. Even if you disable the widget its stuck in that state.

2). You see many people with USB type errors, as if something was plugged in, this could be an incomplete wireless sync, a work machine, a friends machine, your girlfriends machine or icloud saying "we aren't sure this data is complete sync until you get it" You say, "i'm not using icloud anymore", that may be true, but every machine needs to know that.

3). While you are doing this, might as well delete and reset up mail accounts as they can be involved in the contacts issues. Consider your network drives, bootable clone drives, time capsules etc wherever you put data needs to be considered. This is more for the future than the sleep issue, but its good to think about it.

4). If you want to change your sync options, complete the cycle before you change it! If you sync to itunes wirelessly, don't just uncheck it to disable. Sync it wirelessly until completion, then check it. Otherwise it hasn't completed the loop and will remain in that state. If you use icloud and wish to stop, sync all of your machines to be up to date, then uncheck it.

In the end most of these things are behaving as they should, we just aren't used to thinking about it this intensely. Changing your settings on one machine or a router even will impact others. I've had a much, much better experience with Lion and my iphone the last few days from the fresh start. I hope this helps in some way. The time I've wasted on it makes me wish I would have just bit the bullet and stop toying around with plists and terminal.

18. ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004

This was the problem in my case - had print jobs queued for printers that weren't connected.

19. Ben P. macrumors newbie

Ben P.

20. hafr macrumors 68030

I had the exactly same problem. After having tried everything I could think of and found online, I opted for a clean install of Lion and then reinstalled all apps one by one to see which one was messing with the sleep mode. After having restored every app, sleep mode still worked. I then restored the computer from my latest TM backup and sleep mode still worked.

I have no idea what might have caused it, but a clean install and then restore did the trick for me. Just restoring didn't help...

21. runofthedill thread starter macrumors member

so your saying i should do a clean reinstall of lion, then just system restore? My big concern is losing some of my settings in itunes, i pride myself on my itunes and I dont want to lose my library or anything like that, im not talking about the files, but all my playlists and counts. Also don't want to lose my Office Programs.

----------

that post may sound dumb now that i think of it, but im not sure what would happen if i did what you said worked for you.

22. hafr macrumors 68030

The thing is, restoring your system from a backup takes you back to the point of the backup completely. It's like nothing has happened between backing up and restoring. Nothing is added, nothing is lost. That's why it's so weird that the problem didn't come back after having restored...

As I said, I don't know why it worked, I'm just saying that's what I did and it worked for me :)

23. runofthedill thread starter macrumors member

Interesting. I may give this a go.

24. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

Okay. This just recently happened to me. And I JUST fixed it.

Go in to terminal, type in pmset -g assertions . Then click enter.
    What do you see? Does it say PreventSystemSleep 1 ?

If so, look below that. Does it say org.cups.cupsd ?

YES?
    Next go to System preferences, Printer and Scan. Delete the printer that says Online.

Problem solved.

25. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

It shouldn't need to be deleted, just disable printer sharing.