MacBook Pro will not start up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cmac101, Oct 20, 2007.

1. cmac101 macrumors newbie

i had my mpb turned off for about a day, and when i went to turn it back on, the usual white screen came and the disc drive made the usual noise. The speakers then made three popping noises and the apple logo never appeared. then i noticed the white status light would flash three times. I searched apple's support site but cannot find any solution besides take it to a store, but there are no apple stores near me. Has this ever happened to you??? What should i do?

Thanx

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Call apple support. U.S. iPod and Mac technical support: 1-800-APL-CARE (1-800-275-2273)

If its something that it needs to go back to Apple for they will send a box out for it next day and you will send it in. Otherwise, they might be able to help you fix this.

3. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

The fabled 'remove all peripherals' is worth a try. Unplug everything and try again.
    Could be hardware based though, see above post for details ;)

4. jyt macrumors newbie

Hi, I am new here, with a brand new Macbook Pro and I have had the same problem (exactly the same behaviour as yours) since yesterday. I finally managed to get it to start up, after trying about everything I could think of. It finally started up after a reset of the SMC, and without the battery, but I don't think I have fixed the problem.

I am now running Apple Hardware Test, and it first told me there was an error (4MEM/1/4000000), but now it is testing the board...

What was the solution to your problem ?

Thanks

JY

5. weinrdog macrumors newbie

Status light, 3 Flashes is bad memory. I did find that documented somewhere, but can't remember where. (Similar and Here it is)

Been there, done that, after upgrading to 4GB memory. It was running fine, then said it needed to reboot. Never came back up. My issue was pretty clear as I'd just installed new memory that apparently didn't survive the first 10 minutes of burn-in. Fortunately, I had the original memory sticks, so I replaced them and all was good.

I've since upgraded again and fortunately haven't had any problems.

6. jyt macrumors newbie

Thanks, that's great ! I already feel better now that I know what the disease is :) ! I am still running the Hardware test, so far so good, but if it does this again, I will go directly to Apple to get new memory. :mad:

7. heatmiser macrumors 68020

For the price of new memory from Apple, you could buy several gigabytes of reliable, working memory from other vendors online.

8. jyt macrumors newbie

Any hint about what I should order (brands, references ?) to avoid problems ?

Anyway, I just though, since it is still under warranty (one week since I purchased the MPB), Apple ought to replace it, don't they ? :)

BTW, I tested the two memory banks and the two memory boards, and one of the boards is definitely defective. The funny thing is, the :apple: Hardware Test was not reliable on this : first test failed after 5s, second test was OK after 45'... :confused:

Cheers

JY