Macbook Pro will not start up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nickarmadillo, Aug 12, 2009.

1. nickarmadillo macrumors regular

I was sitting refinishing the living room table tonight and suddenly my Macbook Pro (2.33 17" x1600), which I had left charging on the couch, began making loud clicking noises. I then jumped up, opened it and was greeted by a frozen screensaver, so I did a forced restart. However, my machine just hangs now and will not boot. All I get is a solid sleep light, a black screen, and a little bit of disk noise (No startup chime, no lit keyboard, no usb, etc.). I'm not really sure what could have happened.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Clicking? Sounds like your hard drive may have failed. Can you try to boot from the install disks?

3. nickarmadillo thread starter macrumors regular

I had a disk in the machine at the time and I cannot get it out.

4. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

go to apple store. or tilt the laptop so the disk could fall out or something.

5. nickarmadillo thread starter macrumors regular

Don't have an Apple store here. Any other ideas?

6. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

You can try removing the DVD drive to see if it makes any difference.

7. nickarmadillo thread starter macrumors regular

Disk is out now and I've inserted the Leopard disk, but it will not boot from the disk either. Just a black screen, sleep light, and some low-volume disk spinning.

Interestingly, the laptop still gets warm.

I've now tried restarting the PRAM, booting from the Leopard disk, and accessing the laptop from my iMac in target disk mode. However, none of it seems to work.

UPDATE: I've removed both RAM modules and tried restarting with different combinations in each slot. The computer now starts up with either module in the upper slot (the one closest to the lid), but neither in the lower slot. Does this mean that I have a bad RAM slot?

Can't find my Apple Hardware Test Disk either .... what a day

Someone else has to have experienced this. I can't be the only one.

8. spazzbecker macrumors newbie

Same Problem

Hi Guys
    My wife's Macbook Pro 17" is doing EXACTLY the same thing..
    NO Boot , just black screen, Only the solid power light..
    Removed Ram from lower slot.. Did allow me to boot one time but no more.
    Swapped Ram Modules around still no boot..
    nickarmadillo did you ever fix your problem... what was it..

My wife would be very grateful for any help or ideas..
    cheers
    Carl

9. qjmoss macrumors newbie

qjmoss

Yeah.. I also had a bad day with this..

I have the unibody Macbook, I love the thing, but.. with 1g products there are sometimes faults. Now.. When this happened to me, I didn't hear anything loud enough to make me jump up and stop what I was doing, but my fan, ever since I purchased my Mac, was a little.... loud. But.. me being me just ignored it, didn't have time to bring it and get it diagnosed. About a week later, BAM! 10.6.1 locked up. Forced a restart, and the same thing happened to me, everything your experiencing.

After this, I sent my product back to Mac, They mailed me a box over night, and I have Fedex pick it up same day. A day later they called me, and told me that my one year limited mac warranty will cover my damage.

They replaced the following faulty parts.

-Internal HD
    -Internal fans

Judging by what your going through, you should do the same.

But one way to be sure, if your comfortable and ready to admit you have a problem, when you CAN get it to a start up disk. Use the Disk Utility. and do a complete format of your internal, but use a high security raiting that way you get the best test. In most cases, if you have a faulty HD you'll get a very depressing message.. "Could not finish formatting".

Well, there's my two cents. Sorry if someone else has already answered your question, i kinda just skipped to the bottom =)

But lemme know if this helped at all.

Edit-

And for the record, don't start tilting the laptop and hoping the disk will fall out. my god...

10. spazzbecker macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply qjmoss

I purchased the wife's Mac in 2007 sooo It's now out of warranty :(
    I could purchase a new hard drive and install my self?
    Never done one on a Mac but loads of Pc's and a few laptops (Dell)

So you do think it's the Hard Drive.. I was kinda leaning towards that as well

Thanks
    Carl

11. qjmoss macrumors newbie

qjmoss

So there was no AppleCare purchase with your computer =/

Well that's no good.

Ok try to boot up with your disk, and get into Disk Utility, and try to do a format on your drive, if it fails then, you got a problem.. but if it completes.. Try to install your OS.

If you don't get past step one, then yes.. you need a new hard drive.. but it's not all bad news.. i mean you can look at it like you gota spend some money that you don't want to, or you finally have a chance to buy your wife something nice ; )

To be honest, I'm going towards your hard drive.

But, I could be mistaken, I'm just going by a little information.

Let me know whats up. I'll be here for awhile

12. spazzbecker macrumors newbie

HI Again
    Replaced the hard drive ! Still no go just Black screen and sligh hum from DVD drive thats it..
    Any idea's ?
    thanks guys
    Carl

13. spazzbecker macrumors newbie

HI Again
    Replaced the hard drive ! Still no go just Black screen and slight hum from DVD drive thats it..
    Any idea's ?
    thanks guys
    Carl

14. XP Defector macrumors 6502