MacBook pro will not turn on

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JDMFSeanP, Sep 14, 2010.

1. JDMFSeanP macrumors regular

When I go to turn on my MacBook pro nothing happens. No sound no hd spin no nothing. Last put computer to sleep and had it plugged in charging. Now when plugged in led doesn't turn green or any color just stays off and battery detector on side of laptop does nothing at all.

Mid 2009 MacBook pro, no removable battery :/

Please help me :'(

2. JDMFSeanP thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your quick response.

I've tried all those, reset pram, smc, nothing happens at all. The laptop gives no response to anything.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Do you have Apple Care? If so, contact Apple.

4. JDMFSeanP thread starter macrumors regular

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Then you could wait a day and see if someone else can come up with a solution and then contact Apple or an Apple Authorised Repair Shop.

6. JDMFSeanP thread starter macrumors regular

Alright thank you.

Anyone else had this problem?

7. bamf macrumors 6502

Have you tried it with an external display? It could be that the display isn't working on the laptop itself.

8. JDMFSeanP thread starter macrumors regular

Well it started up now and works just fine, maybe it just had to sit IDK, but now the magsafe still wont charge it, any ideas?

9. JDMFSeanP thread starter macrumors regular

Nevermind just shut it down and now it won't do anything again...

10. bamf macrumors 6502

You might want to try a different power adapter. Is the light green, amber, or non existent on your current power adapter (while it's plugged into the MBP)?

11. JDMFSeanP thread starter macrumors regular

Nonexistent

12. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Just to clarify, is there a charge on the battery? When you push the battery charge checker thing on the side of the MBP, how many lights light up?

13. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

14. dapetrun macrumors regular

dapetrun

Probably a bad power supply...

If the MBP isn't booting because of a completely dead battery and/or intermittent charge capability from the power supply then this could explain your condition.

It sounds to me that you may have a short either in the wiring to/from your power supply or the power supply itself is malfunctioning (a known problem on some earlier MBP power supplies).

Try wiggling the wire near both ends of the power supply and note if the charge light appears or appears intermittently. The easiest thing is to try another power supply from a friend or coworker. If it comes back on, note the charge condition to the battery if it boots, and I'd suggest running Disk Utility to repair from aborted start-ups/shut downs but only if sufficient battery charge exists or a good steady supply of AC from the PS.

I have found it useful to always have a spare power supply, one for the usual spot where I use the computer and another for travel purposes.

Good luck.

15. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

+1

16. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I have three of them. One for my desk setup (my dual screen setup), one for school, and one for my bed setup (when I am lying in my bed, watching YouTube, doing homework in my bed, etc...)

17. JDMFSeanP thread starter macrumors regular

Yes there is but it does not show. When I had the computer on it said 95% charge which is where is should be basically, didn't check side led when it was on. When it turned off and wouldn't turn on again though the side led does not light up at all.

18. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

The battery could have a bad connection to the logic board.

19. JDMFSeanP thread starter macrumors regular

I believe the bad connection is my problem. I got it to turn on again and jiggled charger cord around and it started charging, but then the laptop randomly shut off. And won't turn on again

I've been having electrical problems like this but nothing serious since I had my trackpad replaced. Maybe something got jiggled loose. Bottom of laptop is also loose one ofthe screws isn't tight