Macbook Pro will not turn on...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phospholipid1, Jul 17, 2014.

1. phospholipid1 macrumors member

I have a Macbook Pro 13" 2012 model and yesterday it was hooked up to my TV and I was streaming some netflix. Today, I cannot turn it on. It is fully charged. I press the power button and I hear absolutely nothing, the screen is fully black and nothing at all happens. I've tried to reset the SMC, but no luck.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The mid 2012 13" MacBook Pro is still being sold by Apple, so I have to ask...have you checked to see if it has warranty? If it does, I'd just suggest taking it in to Apple.

3. phospholipid1 thread starter macrumors member

Hi yes, I have 10-15 days left, I will book an appointment when the nearest store has one.

4. phospholipid1 thread starter macrumors member

Update: Tried it again in the morning and it just turned on like normal. Should I bother going into my appointment for the genius bar? It's in a weeks time.

edit: nvm.. I shut it down and it wont power on again.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Your warranty is nearing its expiration - I would.

6. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

7. phospholipid1 thread starter macrumors member

I have an appointment for next week, so I will go for it. It just turns on again now, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. I mean, if I go there and it turns on - what will they do?

8. Ih8reno, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2014

Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Even if its working now I would still get it checked out. I did this when my 2011 Macbook pro had its applecare ending. They did a full system checkup, better they find something now which they will fix for free then if you wait and they charge you $300 to fix it.

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Explain the problems you've been having. They have some diagnostics they can run but they don't always catch everything.

Intermittent issues are hard to troubleshoot. If you know of a specific task that causes the computer to shut down, show them.