Macbook Pro Winter Commute

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by supernes, Nov 26, 2012.

1. supernes macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I'll start off by saying that I've never owned a laptop up to now, but after seeing the Retina Macbook Pro I went ahead and shifted to it as my primary computer.

I use it both at home and at the office, and for the time being that means that I carry it around with me every day. With winter approaching, I have a couple of questions regarding the proper handling in very low temperature conditions.

Apple lists operating and storage temperature ranges as 10° to 35° C (50° to 95° F) and –24° to 45° C (–13° to 113° F) respectively. Just today air temperature dropped to 0° C (32° F) where I live, with numbers as low as -10° C (14° F) not uncommon for February.

So my questions are - what precautions should I take when transporting the Macbook Pro outside in these harsh conditions? Should I turn it off prior to taking it outside? How long should I wait before turning it back on once I get inside to avoid condensation and other effects of sudden temperature shifts?

I'd really appreciate it if some of the more experienced laptop owners out there can give me a couple of hints.

Thanks.

2. dannylillhtc macrumors member

dannylillhtc

in a good laptop bag these temps will be different as most bags are well padded and insulated, i transport my mac everywhere, i use it in uni, home, coffee shops etc and have not seen any issues with the cold. its probably best to leave it a short while half hour or so just to allow it to warm up a bit if youve been out in the extreme cold or you notice any obvious condensation on the device.

3. conkerbot macrumors member

I keep my bedroom extremely cold during winter (~8 degrees c) because I like it that way when I sleep. So when I'm using my rMBP in there every temperature reports below 20 degrees. Been using it like this for over a month with zero problems. I don't think I'd use it below 0, but if it's in a padded bag the insulation should be fine as long as you don't leave it in a car for days or something.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

What, do you walk the 15 miles home in sub-zero? :)

Thick padded bag should be fine, but if paragraph#1, buy one of those nice pelican (camera case) totes, or if that's too industrial, I've seen a cool 007 aluminum one, but that can get you mugged in the wrong neighborhood.

5. Inside_line macrumors regular

If only people took as much interest in their own health as they do that of their computers.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Caller: I tell ya I keep that that baby oiled <cough-cough>, nothing but original parts <ack-cough> excuse me <ack-ack>.

Host: You OK Sir?

:D

7. supernes thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the insight guys, looks like I'll have to invest in a better bag as my current one is pretty much worthless.

Fair enough! Care to share any tips on staying healthy in the winter time? Should I wear thick clothing and a scarf? Maybe double down on the warm beverages and/or wine? Try not to stay out in the cold for prolonged periods of time? ;)

8. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Well, those numbers are always unnecessarily nitpicky, but I'd (in any case) recommend buying a good padded sleeve for the wintertime (neoprene, while not being the most beautiful textile around is a very good insulator). Also, I'd recommend getting a backpack, which fits snugly on your back (no air room to help ventilate your back) if temperatures are really adverse.

We've had some tough winters here lately (-20 to -30 C) and I've never had any problems, usually the laptop may cool down to 5C after one hour outdoors, but unless your indoors is very humid you will not have condensation problems.

RGDS,