Macbook/Pro Wireless 802.11n Questions...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xperton3, Sep 30, 2007.

1. xperton3 macrumors member

Ok i have a first generation macbook pro, its a 2ghz core duo. Is this laptop only b/g or possibly N as well with some sort of software hack?

Second Question:
    I also have a white macbook 1.83ghz Core Duo which has boot camp installed on it and when its in windows XP i noticed that it connects at 108mbs speed....does that mean this one has a N card in it?
    And is there a software package that will examine the abilities of the built in wireless card for the mac/pc?

Thanks

2. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

1. No, unless you install an N card yourself, the first-rev CD models don't have it.

2. I think the only way you can be connected at that speed is if you are hardwired via the Gigabit ethernet. If you have a Core Duo Macbook, then no, it's not N wireless either.

3. xperton3 thread starter macrumors member

why would the macbook connect at 108 wireless???

4. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

5. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

The Atheros chipset included in the 1st gen macbook/pro is capable of 108MBps when connected to a router (mostly dlink) with an Atheros chipset that supports the 108MBps "Turbo G" and "Turbo A" protocols. The "Turbo" modes allow the radios to use double the bandwidth over the standard G and A.

6. TheStu macrumors 65816

My Netgear RangeMax MIMO SuperG router (wow, that's a lot of buzzwords!) connects to my Core Duo MacBook at 108Mb/s, which I was very pleasantly surprised at. I also recently found out that the hard drive in my MacBook is a 16MB cache... which is, I have gathered so could be wrong, unheard of in laptop drives.

All in all, pretty nice components for a 'consumer' level notebook