Macbook Pro wireless hot spot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by owazio, Jul 8, 2010.

1. owazio, Jul 8, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011

owazio macrumors member

I am planing to let other laptops to connect through my Macbook Pro as a hotspot by using My Mac's air port, i have tried it successfully using Ethernet cable connected through my Mac and distribute the connection through my Mac's air port. However, is it possible to connect through my Mac's air port and distribute the connection through my air port to other laptops back again?

My friend told me it might be possible by using another wireless adapter by connecting it to my Mac....

Any other solution ?

2. silencer88 macrumors member

The most simple solution is to use a wireless router or range extender to share the connection. You cannot both use and share a wireless connection with your MacBook at the same time, without an external wireless adapter.

I don't really understand your goal though. If there's already a wireless connection available, then why do you need to share it to other devices?

3. owazio thread starter macrumors member

I see, i am using a wireless router. However, i want to extend the range through using my Mac's air port.

4. bigjobby macrumors 65816

but that doesn't make sense either. If users wanted to connect to the internet with your implementation, they'll need your MBP to be on all the time. Also, if you go out with your MBP, that means no internet for them too.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Simple question: When you connect to the internet (obviously a wireless LAN at your home) via AirPort, why can't the others use the same network you obviously connect to?

6. captainbeyond macrumors newbie

The only reason I can think of is to extend the range of the neighbor's network ;)

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

But if the friends are in the same room, they should be also able to connect to whatever existing network, shouldn't they?