MacBook Pro wireless problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yuenzhi, Mar 19, 2010.

1. yuenzhi macrumors newbie

Feb 19, 2009
    Hi guys i need some help here

I've been experiencing a problem lately with my Wifi, this started around last January where my Macbook Pro Wifi will be disconnected and reconnect within a few seconds, the period between the connection cut off varies sometimes short(3-5 minutes) sometimes long(1 hour?).

The weird thing is, this happens only when I use my house Wifi(NTL Ireland) and when I use my neighbor's Wifi which happens to be the same company(NTL) I do no experience this problem.

And another weird thing is 2 of my housemates who are using PC do not have this problem and 1 of my housemate who is using mac also experiencing this problem, but the disconnection of the wifi of mine and her doesnt happen at the same time.

I am so fed up with this, can anybody tell me what's the problem ? my macbook ? router ? broadband company ? weather ?
  2. zipa macrumors 65816

Feb 19, 2010
    Sounds to me that your housemates PCs might be "overpowering" your transmission, since you are all transmitting on the same channel. If you can, tell your housemates to turn off their computers for a while and see if your reception improves. If that is the case, you might want to invest in a long enough ethernet cable...
  3. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Oct 26, 2008
    Maybe the Wifi router isn't properly supported by your Macs? There might be some setting which would make your Mac not connect properly... I highly doubt it has something to do with the two PC people connecting, because I have a similar set up at home, just that there are 3-4 PCs always connected and 3 Macs.
  4. yuenzhi thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 19, 2009
    thanks for the suggestion, i will certainly try that

thanks for the opinion
  5. m7a7d macrumors newbie

Feb 27, 2010
    I posted a thread with a similar problem.

A lot of people replied with some really good suggestions. So far, what I have done (which seems to have fixed the problem) is turn off the firewall on my router.
  6. Harry James macrumors newbie

Mar 20, 2010
    It's a mac. It just works.
    No progress. Your pro-filer only mentions software. As a matter of fact, my pro-filer doesn't mention the software at all. It only mentions the hardware:
    "Wireless card type: Airport Extreme" and other stuff.

You seem to have a bad card. Take the card to any shop that sells Macs and have them try it in their Mac. If it doesn't work in another Mac, it's a bad card.