Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is this a good idea?

• Yes, I sure do want the ultimate computer (with an option for no blu-ray of course)

Votes: 98 58.3%
  • No, Keep it the way it is. Even if there is an option for no bluray

Votes: 48 28.6%
  • May be, 50/50 here

Votes: 22 13.1%

• Total voters

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Bring on the 2.35:1 Aspect Ratio Laptops !!!

1920x817 for the HighRes 17" MBP BTO. No letterboxing for most movies! (can someone photoshop me a squat MBP?).

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Laptops are going 16:9 now because movies are (often even wider than) 16:9. They are making the screens wider, so although you may be loosing some pixels vertically, you will be getting larger screens in the long run. 15.4" screens are 16" when they are 16:9.

I would rather have 16:9 screens than 16:10 any day.
I'd rather have a smaller display with a higher resolution than a larger display with a lower resolution any day.

If you're going to offer Deth-to-batte-rey in computers, just make the screen resolution 2.39:1 like all movies are. That way you get rid of the black bars completely.
And 3.2:1 is so much better!!!! :p

two-440.jpg

(can someone photoshop me a squat MBP?).
Sure.

.Chris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
why would you want 16:9 :confused: widescreen laptops today are 16:10 and they still steal pixel height. having a dock & menubar on a 16:9 13" or 15" MacBook would seriously steal height on web pages and documents.

Blu-ray on the other hand will come when Apples ready. they need to add HDCP compatible displays and graphics on all Mac and display models (except for the Air) and add software capable of viewing and burning Blu-ray out of the box i.e. DVD Player, iLife Final Cut Studio. PC Blu-ray players/burners are 100-200 bucks which is still too expensive atm.

You guys are all over the resolution being the same. It wont. The resoluation will change to match the 16:9 formatt.

Laptops are going 16:9 now because movies are (often even wider than) 16:9. They are making the screens wider, so although you may be loosing some pixels vertically, you will be getting larger screens in the long run. 15.4" screens are 16" when they are 16:9.

I would rather have 16:9 screens than 16:10 any day.

16:9 is sleaker and looks beter. people are scared of change.

What, you can't live with black boxes?

I'm sorry, the MBP isn't really meant to be a media computer for watching movies...(although I'm sure many of you do at some point) it's meant to have work done upon it... where people enjoy the the increased number of pixels.

MBP is a advanced multimedia machine. Its ment to handle just about anything.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
You guys are all over the resolution being the same. It wont. The resoluation will change to match the 16:9 formatt.

Eventually maybe, but if Apple move the MBP to 16:9 then the top model is likely to go to 1920 by 1080. That is a step back however you look at it.

16:9 is sleaker and looks beter. people are scared of change.

That's just an opinion. 16:10 looks better to me.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
16" MacBook Pro with 16:9 and Blu-Ray would do me.

Chiplet keyboard, glossy screen.

Jak3

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I want one of those 3.2:1 screens! :D

how about a screen with a resolution of

1920x1200...that way you have 16:10 aspect ratio for work and when you watch movies it will cut to 1080. HD video and extra room to work in when you need it...that's so crazy it just might work! Wait a minute...I think we just might already have a screen with that resolution....yes, we do! :rolleyes:

problem solved. 120 pixels cut for HD content, won't change screen size drastically, heck, if you're that worried, buy a display that's slightly larger and and you'll have 1080 at larger than most other screens...

that being said, these are crazy ass huge resolutions when you compare it to 1080p plasma displays that are 42" and most computer screens are <30" :eek:

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Ideally, at some point I really hope that 16:9 ultra-high resolution displays are manufactured. A 16:9 MacBook Pro with a 16" display sporting a resolution of 1920x1080 would be awesome.

masse

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2007
MA/GA
I don't even want a DVD drive....

Seriously, if they included an external DVD drive and removed the internal one I would hardly care. Its a lot of wasted space if you ask me.

Also, I prefer the aspect ratio of my 15" powerbook to the macbook pro. Smaller footprint is important to me.

So in conclusion, I disagree completely.

.Chris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
That's just an opinion. 16:10 looks better to me.

But 16:10 is taller though, while 16:9 is a bit shorter but wider.

I don't even want a DVD drive....

Seriously, if they included an external DVD drive and removed the internal one I would hardly care. Its a lot of wasted space if you ask me.

Also, I prefer the aspect ratio of my 15" powerbook to the macbook pro. Smaller footprint is important to me.

So in conclusion, I disagree completely.

Given its a pro machine they need to keep the drive. not everyone wants to carry around an external drive taking up space. and not everyone is on a wi-fi network or wants to go accosss the house just to put a damn dvd in

benzslrpee

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
a screen too wide will make reading articles (ex. this forum), writing a paper, and photo editing kind of a pain in the ass. i feel that even the current iteration of MBP screens are a little too squat. i'm used to it now, but whenever i bust out Word to take notes in class i can't help but wish for some extra length. it's a lot easier to read something with a shorter width and longer length.

i'm not even sure why all of a sudden 16:9 is the new media darling of screen ratios. some one can correct me on this but it benefits only movies, no? are some TV shows done in 16:9 as well?

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Nice, 20" MBP with 8 speakers and 9600GTX in SLI.
It's 17".

Given its a pro machine they need to keep the drive. not everyone wants to carry around an external drive taking up space. and not everyone is on a wi-fi network or wants to go accosss the house just to put a damn dvd in
Not everyone wants to carry around an external hard drive taking up space. And not everyone needs to use DVDs all the time. And not everyone wants the extra weight of an optical drive.

i'm not even sure why all of a sudden 16:9 is the new media darling of screen ratios. some one can correct me on this but it benefits only movies, no? are some TV shows done in 16:9 as well?
One reason is cheaper panels.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007

Widescreen TV's (most) have always been 16:9. All TV shows are 16:9 now. Nearly all broadcasts in the UK are 16:9. Sports, TV Shows, Movies, News etc.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Widescreen TV's (most) have always been 16:9. All TV shows are 16:9 now. Nearly all broadcasts in the UK are 16:9. Sports, TV Shows, Movies, News etc.

I forgot when I last time saw a 16:9 movie. All of them are 2.35:1.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I forgot when I last time saw a 16:9 movie. All of them are 2.35:1.

I was referring to movies shown on the TV. And I didn't say all movies were 16:9 did I? A lot are letterboxed, but not all.

In fact, most of the movies I own at 16:9.

Teej guy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2007
16:9 ratio is the way to go.

I do not know why people are so afraid of it.

Maybe because we'd have to scroll web pages more?

Seriously, from a computer usability perspective, 16:9 is not a good thing. Computers (especially ones aimed at the "pro" market) are not primarily movie watching devices, 16:10 makes a lot more sense for day to day use. If you want to watch a movie, live with the black bars, or get a small portable DVD player.

Minimoose 360

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
NY
So,
16:9 ratio = consumer
16:10 ratio = pro
? :confused:

Because we are going to use out MBPs for work, where the leisurely Macbook can be 16:9 due to it's consumer status. I want whatever gives me the best resolution...and I never watch videos fullscreen on a computer anyway so I can keep track of other things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.