MacBook Pro with 30" Cinema Display Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by go.mouse, Aug 14, 2007.

1. go.mouse macrumors newbie

Hi, newbie with ACD here.

How do I run the 30" ACD in 2560x1600 while in mirror mode with my 17" MBP?

Also whenever I close the lid of the MBP it does to sleep... any help is appreciated.

2. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

The 30" ACD requires two DVI ports (half the screen comes from one DVI port, the other half from the second). The MBP only has 1, so you won't be able to use it to its full potential.

Not sure on what the maximum resolution output of the MBP is (I can only find specs for the 512MB model which supports 2560x1600).

3. go.mouse thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem fixed after talking to a very patient :apple: tech support rep. :D

Here's how you run the 30" Cinema Display at native resolution (2560x1600) when connected to a Macbook Pro.

Under System Preferences - Displays, Arrangement tab under Cinema HD window, make sure "mirror" is unchecked to run extended display mode. Drag the white bar from the smaller "display" to the larger "display" to set the Cinema Display as the default monitor.

If anyone knows a better way, please post them ;)

4. shecky Guest

shecky

in order to run lid closed, you need to have an external keyboard attached to the MBP, close the lid, let it fully sleep and then with the lid closed, hit a key on the external keyboard and it will wake up and only power the external display.

5. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

External wired or bt keyboard and mouse, usb device, and the Apple Remote are able to wake the MBP with the lid closed only if it is plugged in to a power source.

6. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

All MacBook Pros Can Drive 30" Monitors At 2560 x 1600 Native Resolution

This "information" is wrong. All 30" displays simply require ONE Dual Link DVI port equipped Mac with ONE Dual Link DVI cable (provided with the monitors). All MacBook Pros and the latter PowerBook G4's have Dual Link DVI ports on them and thus all can drive any 30" monitor, DELL, HP or Apple at full 2560 x 1600 native resolution.

7. go.mouse thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info!

I figured out it's better to use the ACD with the lid closed, so now my mouse cursor won't move over to the MBP's screen. And yeah, I use my BT Apple Keyboard to wake it up after closing the lid.

8. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Ahh - I'm sure I read somewhere that it required two DVI ports, don't ask me where.

Maybe I'm getting muddled up with Dual Link DVI. Sorry..

9. dkoralek macrumors 6502

dkoralek

I believe that the issue at hand (and you went through with tech support) is over mirrored. If you had the displays mirrored (i.e. the MBP built in display) and the 30" lcd, you would be limited to the max resolution that the MBP built in display is at on both displays (at least that's how my pc latop works) since both displays would be asked to display identical data. having it set up as an extended desktop, or having it only use the external display is a different story, obviously.

cheers.