Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bcrguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2009
Burlington Ontario Canada
hey all, i just went and got an 8gb stick of patriot ram to put in my macbook pro (see sig for details) and when i went to boot it up after installing it beeps and wont start up. now i know that the 8gb sticks arent officially supported so im wondering how i get it to work.

thanks in advance

Nov 28, 2010
located
You normally get two 4 GB sticks to get to 8 GB of RAM, the 8 GB module will NOT work in a 2009 or 2010 MBP, only in 2011 and later MBP models.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
It either works, or it doesn't. Try swapping the stick back and going back to the original configuration. If it boots back up with it, get a refund or RMA on your ram.

If it doesn't, quietly make a genius appointment. But if they suspect you screwed up the machine while putting in the ram, kiss that applecare buh-bye.

Oh, I didn't notice the specs in your signature. Take the ram back and get two 4 gig sticks like the previous poster suggested.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
It either works, or it doesn't. Try swapping the stick back and going back to the original configuration. If it boots back up with it, get a refund or RMA on your ram.

If it doesn't, quietly make a genius appointment. But if they suspect you screwed up the machine while putting in the ram, kiss that applecare buh-bye.

Oh, I didn't notice the specs in your signature. Take the ram back and get two 4 gig sticks like the previous poster suggested.

It might boot up, but then crash.

Not many vendors sell 16GB (2x8GB modules) kits. One is a no-name brand and the other is name-brand.

I tried the name-brand version and did memory tests (like how ANYONE should do when buying an expensive upgrade that might impact system stability). RAM tests failed during the third pass, and the system got 10C hotter. And the wrist area got hotter as well.

Many people reported the same problem.

So I lived with 8GB (2x4Gb modules). I'd love to run 2 VMs and still use Photoshop, but one VM at half the virtual RAM will do.

The 2012 model, with 16GB preloaded, is probably the most reliable deal, if one needs that much RAM. And assuming the 2012 model really runs that much cooler...

clyde2801

macrumors 601
I got 16gb of gskill ram from newegg for $87...may be a bit cheaper now. Read favorable reviews about it from other MBP owners with my same machine and took the plunge. Memtest showed flying colors after 5 passes, so it's all good.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
Assuming you're putting it into the MBP in your signature, it won't work. Your 2009 MBP can have a MAX of 8GB RAM. Using an 8GB RAM stick won't work properly in your computer. You could go get two 4GB sticks and it should work fine, but that's the best you can do. See if you can return the 8GB stick or sell it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.