macbook pro with 9400 or 9400 and 9600 graphic chips

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by coder01, Dec 30, 2009.

  1. coder01 macrumors newbie

    Dec 30, 2009
    how much better is the mbp with the two graphics chips.
    dont want to spend tons of cash on my new notebook, but will pay for the two chips if they really make the notebook that much better.

    i do my gaming on an xbox 360, the only great MS product.
    the big intensive projects i do on my notebook is processing hd video, not too much, but from time to time. family videos mainly. i have no desktop, just notebooks, so whichever i have is the most powerful computer i have.

    i do not edit a lot of video, and i do spend a fair amount of time in photoshop essentials, doing basic editing.

    right now my video editing is with ivideo if this matters.

    what are the thoughts of the population on getting a macbook pro with the two chips versus just one.

    is it possible to open the notebook and add the 9600 at a later date myself, or by one of my whiz computer friends ?

    thanks for help.
  2. zer0tails macrumors 65816


    Mar 23, 2008
    I highly doubt you can add the 9600 later.

    the 9400 is a very capable card for everyday computing. However, when you're editing video I think you'll appreciate the extra juice that the 9600 will offer so you should go with that.

  3. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030


    Jul 21, 2009
    United Kingdom
    As zer0 said, it's not possible to add the 9600 at a later date, as it's not a plug in card like a desktop, it's actually soldered down to the board.

    You might benefit from it when doing video and graphic work. I bought it in mine just for the he'll of it, as I wanted to future proof myself and didn't know how much extra it would benefit me in my design work and gaming.

    Spend the extra money.
  4. coder01 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Dec 30, 2009
    Future proofing

    Thanks for the answers.
    I do like the concept of future proofing the notebook as much as possible.
    I'm gonna wait through january and see if the mbp line gets refreshed.
    The BestBuy rep today alleges there is going to be a delay because apple has had problems with chips which has led apple to stop shipping some models. He says this will delay any new models from coming to market?
    We'll see.
    What about buying service contract from best buy rather than apple?
    Anyone have experience with that?

Share This Page