Macbook Pro with AC wireless is connecting to N not AC.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by supernet33, Aug 8, 2014.

1. supernet33 macrumors regular

Macbook Pro with AC wireless is connecting to N not AC.
    It is connecting to AirPort Extreme with AC.. When I 1st got it, it was connecting to AC fine but since the last couple days it is only connecting N..

I have rebooted all devices 4-5 times already.

Any idea?

2. pragmatous macrumors 65816

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Does it have an AC network to connect to? AC is quite distance-limited and adverse to interference IMHO so check your wifi environment hasn't changed in some way.

N is also a symptom of just getting a better connection on N than on AC, you can't deduce the MBP is doing anything wrong or faulty just on that basis.

4. Freyqq macrumors 601

ac uses 80mhz width and n uses 20/40 mhz width. Wider means more vulnerable to noise/interference. So, it is probably noise/interference, so it is adjusting to compensate.

5. supernet33 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't understand why when I boot up it connects to N.. However if I turn off wifi and back on, it connects to AC.

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Probably because it is switching back to n in use, then when you boot the MBP connects with its last-used settings. Restarting WiFi probably forces it to try ac again. Still sounds like your WiFi environment has some interference going on - or you are marginal on distance from the WiFi source...

7. supernet33 thread starter macrumors regular

What can I do to fix this?

8. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Experiment with different channels - or load an app which will show you if there are other networks on the same channels, move closer to the WiFi source. The only thing you can't do is see what non-WiFi radio interference there is, this could be other transmitters in that band or a faulty electrical device (such as a fridge), emitting radio noise....

9. Freyqq macrumors 601

Yeah, try this: http://osxdaily.com/2012/07/31/wi-fi-scanner-mac-os-x-mountain-lion/

It is a utility built into OSX that will tell you which channels are clear.

10. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

Grab Wifi Explorer off the App Store and use it to troubleshoot your wifi network.

Refer to this for assistance with the troubleshooting part:

http://www.adriangranados.com/blog/troubleshooting-wireless-networks-wifi-explorer