Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sifractusfortis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
This may seem a little strange.

I was on craigslist browsing around and I came across a guy selling a MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo/2GB/128MB VRAM/120GB 5400rpm. He said the graphics card in it was bad, obviously NVIDIA defect. I'm thinking about offering $100 to him for it. It doesn't have applecare, but apparently apple replaces the NVIDIA defective graphics card w/ or w/out apple care. So, I'm wondering if I should because I could end up getting a MBP for $100 :eek: I'm just not sure if it's a stupid thing to do.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
This may seem a little strange.

I was on craigslist browsing around and I came across a guy selling a MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo/2GB/128MB VRAM/120GB 5400rpm. He said the graphics card in it was bad, obviously NVIDIA defect. I'm thinking about offering $100 to him for it. It doesn't have applecare, but apparently apple replaces the NVIDIA defective graphics card w/ or w/out apple care. So, I'm wondering if I should because I could end up getting a MBP for $100 :eek: I'm just not sure if it's a stupid thing to do.

I have the same exact notebook. The so called NVIDIA defect isn't on every single 2.2 system, though it does affect a large number of them.... I'm thinking mine's not one of them, cause mine's in perfect working order and it's been on continuously for the pass 14 months. If someone offered me $100 for it, i'll tell them where they could shove it. :D

But since the graphics card is bad... there's not much on there that would be usable. You do know that ALL the chips are soldered directly to the mainboard, right? You might find some uses for the SuperDrives and TFT other than that, the rest of it is pretty much scrap.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
I don't know. Unless the guy's a total dumba$$, he should know that the defect is covered by Apple, or maybe he spilled liquids on it or whatever.

If he takes $100 for it, you could scrap the hard drive and what not, at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.