Macbook Pro - With Bonus Dust!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kimnkk, Apr 4, 2009.

1. kimnkk macrumors member

kimnkk

Hey guys,

I recently just got a Macbook Pro after being without a mac for about 6 months! After receiving it on Thursday, i played with it and installed all the mandatory applications. It wasn't until Friday that i got around to checking for dead pixels.

Unfortunately i found what i thought was a dead pixel at the time. A quick call to Apple (i bought my MBP off their Online store) and they told me that 1 dead pixel is not eligible for a replacement as its considered acceptable.

Then, i took a few macro shots of it and realised that it wasn't actually a dead pixel as such, but an anomaly covering a few pixels. I called them up today (a Saturday) and unfortunately the department i needed doesn't operate today so i was recommended to visit a Genius Bar.

Here's the macro shot in particular.
    [​IMG]

I took my MBP and photos in and the chap there said that it is considered as a single pixel anomaly (dead pixel) and that they couldn't do anything about it anyway as i didn't purchase it from their store. He told me to call Apple support!

Finally! I did a bit more reading and found that a lot of you folk have the same problem, but its known as dust here. Out came my trusty flashlight and i indeed confirmed that it is dust, a long with several other specs, but only one was visible against the backlight of the screen.

So, here comes the question. Do you guys think i can call Apple and get them to send out a replacement? This MBP is only 4-5 days old at the moment and unfortunately the spec if dust is just too noticable otherwise i wouldn't bother.

Or, do you think i could take it into the Apple store's Genius Bar and they will replace it on the spot? I've heard of people getting replacements from them, but i'm in Australia. Hopefully dust is an easy problem to fix!

Sorry for my mini rant/questions. Would love any input or suggestions as to what i can do now.

Thanks!

2. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

I went through 5 displays on my 2.16 15" pre-SR MBP before they agreed to exchange it. Twice I got it repaired for dust and they didn't give me trouble either time.

I would say if it bothers you then, by all means, exchange it either on the phone or in the store. Do not let them brush you off, especially since you are still within the 14 day return period.

3. eldy macrumors 6502

You should have it replaced if you are not satisfied.

4. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

what camera/lens did you take that with?
    and yeah take it to a genius bar :D

5. kimnkk thread starter macrumors member

kimnkk

Thanks guys. The first time i took it to a Genius Bar the guy thought it was a dead/faulty pixel and said that its just a pixel defect and that is normal. Will his story change once its confirmed as dust? If Australia has this 14 day return policy for their online store, i might try that.

But then again, after a bit of reading, i'm afraid my new unit will still have dust or actually a dead pixel! I tried tapping this one out and using an ultrasonic toothbrush, but still no go :eek:

I used a Canon 40D and an EF 35-80mm with the front elements removed :D

Here's a better picture of the pixels. You can see the dust, but it's out of focus only barely. This really thin DOF clearly tells you that the defect lies on a different plane to the pixels, which means its dust or some foreign body.

[​IMG]

6. mcapanelli macrumors regular

mcapanelli

I had the exact same problem with my black macbook. I purchased it from the apple store online and brought it in to my local apple store for repair. There was dust trapped in the screen. They took my book in and had a new screen installed in 24 hrs. I had no problems at all getting them to work on it.

7. dlhuss macrumors member

Screw Apple. Tell them to give you a new computer or your money back. Doesn't take a "Genius" (referring to the guy in the store, not you. :) ) to figure that out - dead pixel, dust, whatever, you're in the 14-day timeframe for return.