Macbook Pro with bootcamp windows xp connection issues with mac mini

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rebelj12a, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Rebelj12a macrumors newbie

Ok, so im effectively using my Mac Mini as a router for wireless in my apartment. Simple enough, however with the recent purchase of my macbook pro i have installed windows xp sp2 and the install detects the network set up by my mini

however...

when i click on it i only get this message after it attempts to detect network type

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Windows is unable to connect to the selected network. The network may no longer be in range. Please refresh the list of available networks, and try to connect again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    that comes up, now my macbook pro is sitting less than 3 feet away from the mac mini, and i can connect easily with my mac osx portion of the laptop, and my gf's macbook can connect easily.

tried this felix website, did not work...

when encryption was removed, it did not work yet still, repaired connection and it could not acquire an ip.. found a couple websites with updated drivers for the broadcom routers but installing them did not help

changed it to 128 put in a 13 code password etc etc a straight up solution for this would be appreciated! thanks!

2. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

bigrell486

Try also turning on Personal Web Sharing on you Mac Mini.
    You can turn encryption or whatever security you like back on.

3. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

When you set up the WEP encryption, did you note the Hexadecimal string that it generated? This must be used on Windows for the network password.

A better suggestion is to use WPA encryption. It is far more secure than WEP and then you can use the straight password you set up on the mini, for the MBP MacOS and Windows OS.

4. Rebelj12a thread starter macrumors newbie

all there is in the preferences/sharing is web sharing, i activated it

i do not know where to find the hexadecimal stream... would you know how to find it? also, i do not have wpa encryption on the mac mini, it is not an option that even shows up within sharing/advanced... if you know how to activate it or something like that it would be helpful...otherwise all that is available is wep thanks

yes, so i started looking for how to find the hex stream, however... i realize it is useless really, since when activated as hex 128 or 40 i still have no place to enter it on on the pc... since it does not even have a place to enter the password appear since it says

Windows is unable to connect to the selected network. The network may no longer be in range. Please refresh the list of available networks, and try to connect again.

if i try to connect at all!

5. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

You find it on the router itself in the Wireless Setup and Security.

It is not under the Sharing Prefs. It is in the Network Prefs. Click on the Airport and go to Advanced. In the Advanced Pane, you will see the network and security. If it is setup for WPA, use the "-" button and remove the network. Then add it again and it should prompt you for the security type and password. This is where you add the Hexadecimal string.

6. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Sorry I got a little confused when I made my reply.

I forgot you are using your mini as a router.

I need to know more about your physical setup.

How are you connecting to the Internet? By Ethernet to a cable/dsl modem or wirelessly (airport) to a router? What MacOS are you running?

Also in the Sharing Prefs, Airport Options, there is a field there for a Network Name. This must have an entry as it will be the Network for all other computers to join.

On your Windows side (bootcamp) in the network settings are you sure you are joining this Network and not another one?

7. Rebelj12a thread starter macrumors newbie

mac mini is connected by ethernet, running osx leopard
    network name has been set, it is unique and astronomically improbable that there is another... so therefore i know i am trying to connect to the right one...

8. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Ok, I'm only guessing here because I have never used this type of setup.

Try this...

If you are using (on your MBP) DHCP for the MacOS and for the Bootcamp/Windows OS you may be confusing the Mini. When you connect with one OS to the Mini, the Mini registers your MAC (Airport Card Hardware Address) address and then assigns an IP address. Since you are using the same Airport Card for both OSs, the Mini may not be releasing the Airport Card hardware address and getting confused since it has already assigned an IP address to that hardware address. Again, I'm only guessing here.

Try using fixed IP addresses instead of using DHCP. They must be unique (different) for each OS and reside in the same subnet as the Mini's network.

This is only a suggestion. If anyone else has a better idea feel free to chime in.

9. 31rhcp macrumors member

I know this is an ancient thread, but I thought that I'd post my solution for anyone who still has this problem.

I just solved this issue on a Mac Mini running Windows XP SP2. The fix for me was to install SP3. Just download SP3 on a computer connected to the internet and then copy the file to the XP machine in any method.

You will also need to refer to this article while installing SP3:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3841

Hope this saves someone some time down the road.