Macbook pro with broken usb ports worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PatrikL, Jun 10, 2010.

1. PatrikL macrumors member

Hi! i've been offered to buy a used macbook pro 15" unibody 2,8ghz, 4gb ram etc. for $825

The only thing is that he has probably fried the usb ports when he connected a scanner and something happend.
    None of the usb ports work but everything else works lika a charm.
    My though was either is someone can solder a new usbpower chip to the logicboard from a defective one.
    Or I'll just buy a Expresscard with usb ports on it.

Do you think its worth it?

//BR
    Patrik

2. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

$700!!!
    not bad, if its still under warranty take it to apple to be fixed.
    if its outside of warranty it would require a logic board replacement....easy $1000

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

HIghly unlikely that anyone can repair the usb port without replacing the logic board - don't forget these boards are machine assembled and not designed to be repaired.

4. PatrikL thread starter macrumors member

Its outside warranty =/ so maybe it isnt worth it then.
    Trying to talk into myself that i dont use the usb ports so much but :)

My hope was to buy it and then try to solve the problem (i'm hoping that it isnt a fried motherboard) but probably it is

//P

5. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

if you could take the mbp to the apple store you would find out exactly whats wrong.

6. PatrikL thread starter macrumors member

Yeah ofc, but i've bought it yet.
    So its a little chance taking.

7. MikeyJ57 macrumors member

Don't waste your money. Something else will come along.

8. UbuntuFu macrumors regular

If everything else is in good shape, it's not a bad deal. especially if it still has the Expresscard. I probably wouldn't get it if it was my only computer though.

9. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

Tell him 650 and its a deal.

Seriously.

Its not that bad, you can still use firewire or like you said use an express card.

10. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

If you think this is like replacing the two ICs on an SSL J9000 mixing console when the compressor doesn't work on a channel, you are going to be in for a terrible surprise.

Buy it but don't expect the USB to be a simple fix.

11. PatrikL thread starter macrumors member

I had miss calculated the price of the macbook it is $825. (I'm from sweden so the prices is a little diffrent here)
    A new macbook of the same model cost ca $1563 used.

So what do you think? i need to decide today.
    //P

12. Christianallen macrumors newbie

I would say "no."

Think about it... $825. That's just shy of the price of a brand new Macbook, with WORKING USB ports.

Now, obviously, other solutions exist: firewire, express card... but sooooo many devices and situations rely on USB. Obviously, you'd have to live with it---you would get used to it.

But that $825 (a healthy sum of money) is $825 that WON'T be going to a better computer. One that actually has working USB ports.

You can find a refurbished 13" MBP for $929. A refurbished Macbook would be LESS than $825.

Also, what happens when something ELSE on this computer goes wrong. When it's out of warranty. And you can't use it anymore. Now you've wasted $825 on a computer that might not be able to be repaired, AND was handicapped the whole time you had it!

Just save up and buy a new machine. Or, use that $825 to buy a refurb. That actually works. With an actual warranty.

13. apple.gr macrumors regular

Say no.

Patience and with a little more effort you can buy the current line as used with a little more money!

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The 15" 2.8GHz model is the top-end configuration; it's a good deal, but that depends on whether or not your can weather through without any USB ports. You could buy it and take it in, have the ports checked; sometimes it's just bad grounding.

15. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

If it's outside warranty or if it has been tampered with, DO NOT bother. It's not worth it. It's just too crippled and too risky.