MacBook Pro with dead lower ram slot

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by William Wallace, Sep 1, 2009.

1. William Wallace macrumors newbie

Hi,
    My macbook pro's (2.2ghz 15inch GeForce 8600M GT 128mb) lower ram slot is dead, when ram is in it the computer wont start up. It starts up if i take the ram out of the lower slot, but i would like to have access to both slots. The computer is out of warranty is there any way i can fix this on a budget. Also the logic board was replaced under the graphics card recall about 3 months ago.
    Thanks
    jesse

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Did the problem occur prior to the replacement? They may have installed a faulty board.

3. William Wallace thread starter macrumors newbie

no, this problem started yesterday and i got the logic board replaced in late may.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I assume you've tried the slot with different sticks of memory to confirm that the problem isn't with the memory you're using? If so, I suggest calling Apple anyway. Since they replaced the logic board recently you may be able to convince them to repair the problem for you. While your computer may be out of warranty, Apple has been known to fix problems in isolated and unusual circumstances.

5. William Wallace thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help it looks like the other ram slot died to so i am going to call apple and see if they will fix it, and i tested both of the ram chips i have the 1 gb one that came with it and a 2 gb one i bought later the 2gb one worked in the top slot. If the sleep light is on and the computer is humming but the screen is black and there is no response from the backlight on the keyboard, and numlock light, is it possible that the hard drive is dead or dying? thanks again
    jesse

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

And the 1 GB stick works in the top slot as well?

Phrased more simply, do you mean "if the hard drive is running while the computer is asleep"?

Did you lead Scottish forces against the English invaders?

7. William Wallace thread starter macrumors newbie

something is humming, i am not sure if its the hard drive but i think so. I don't have the original 1gb chip with me but the but the 2bg chip in the upper ram slot is no longer working or there is another problem preventing the computer from booting up.

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Don't assume fault with the slot until you've tried other memory. If the memory you're using is the problem, it's much cheaper to replace.