Macbook Pro with DELL 2209WA - won't talk anymore?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by much4, Jan 28, 2012.

1. much4 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a peculiar problem with my setup, which used to work till friday morning.

I own MBP mid 2010 and I was using it attached to my monitor - DELL 2209WA - via mini display port -> dvi connector. Everything worked fine for over a year. Friend of mine came with PS3 - I wanted to test if my monitor can handle this via hdmi->DVI connector and it did. The problem is, now my macbook wont work with DELL as if it got mad or something. :(

What I have checked and confirmed working is as follows:
    a)
    - connecting my macbook to other display via my mdp->dvi
    - connecting other macbook to other display via my mdp->dvi
    => MDP works, MDP->DVI connector works
    b)
    - connecting my monitor with other cpu(pc) via mine DVI cable
    - connecting my monitor with other cpu(pc) via VGA cable
    - connecting PS3 via hdmi->dvi cable
    => Monitor is working

I've tried changing resolutions on my monitor (under pc), resetting to defaults and nothing helps. When I try to connect my mbp to DELL it looks like it's probing (blue screen and back) but then it stops and monitor goes to sleep. It is never available under display menu even after detecting displays.
    What's more, I've tried connecting my gf's mbp (mid 2011) and it doesn't work either. What else can I do to debug and solve this problem?

2. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I had the same issue with and HP display after switching between different displays. Turns out the auto scanning to determine the input device wasn't working correctly. I ended up powering down the monitor and manually selecting the input. Since then it has been working correctly. Try messing with the input on the monitor, if this is possible on yours, as some it is not.

3. much4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I've been fiddling with this input source multiple times - no effect. Macbook keeps flashing blue->desktop->blue->desktop as if it was probing for external screen, but monitor enters 'power saving' mode and nothing happens after that. This is so weird.