MacBook Pro with dual monitor display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by oconchus, Oct 18, 2012.

1. oconchus macrumors newbie

Hi,

A colleague of mine has a MacBook Pro and is trying to connect it to two monitors. Both monitors have VGA and DVI outputs and one has a HDMI port. His MacBook was bought a few months ago and has a Mini-DVI and a Thunderbolt port.

Is this possible without using a Matrox box or another expensive video splitter? I'm used to PCs where you just jimmy some cheap cables together and everything works fine but from what I've read, I am unsure whether that solution works with MacBooks.

Thanks

2. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Which model Macbook Pro specifically?

From my understanding, only the Retina MBP can do dual monitors =\

EDIT - I'm assuming dual monitors implies different usage on each, or are you simply just looking for both monitors to show the same thing?

3. colshine macrumors regular

colshine

The only other option is to daisy chain two Thunderbolt Displays - which is probably more expensive unless you already have the displays.

4. lucasfer899 macrumors 6502

lucasfer899

I'd suggest you used some sort of thunderbolt hub, I don't have any links to any though, sorry.

5. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

you didnt say the resolution of the monitors but if they are normal resolutions you can use the thunderbolt port on one display as the primary and use a cheap usb to dvi adapter. you can get a pretty good one for 60 bucks. the second monitor on the usb isnt good for gaming or anything like that.

6. oconchus thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies.

He did not specify and has been out of the office so I cannot check. We are trying to configure an extended display i.e. not have each screen just mirror the other.

They are Dell and ASUS monitors, 1920x1080 and 1920x1200 respectively, with DVI outputs (and HDMI for the ASUS) so I think we will need to buy DVI/Thunderbolt adapters which also look expensive. Over a hundred bucks to connect monitors to a laptop? My mind boggles at the Apple hive. Thanks for the advice on the USB/DVI adapter - he can probably do with one high latency output so long as the Thunderbolt-connected monitor is responsive.