Macbook Pro with DVI "pop" problem in speakers

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mb89, Oct 13, 2013.

1. mb89 macrumors newbie

Hello to everyone

I've got an audio problem with my Macbook Pro.

My system:
    MacBook Pro (2010)
    External monitor Asus VE247H (through DVI adaptor Kanaan attached at the Mini Display port)
    Genelec speakers 6010a active speakers (attached at the MBpro jack out through RCA unbalance cables)
    ---> everything is attached to the same multipower outlet

I get this random "pop" sound out from the speakers only when the screen is attached, there is no precise action that activate this and it show up 0 times in 2 hours than 2 time in 5 minutes, there is no consistent pattern.
    It's something that I'm afraid can hurt my speaker system so I'm looking for a solution.

Google report that it can be a grounding problem because of DVI, but I don't know a lot about electrical stuff.

a) Can an external usb audio interface potentially solve this problem?

b) Can a HDMI cable instead of the DVI one solve this problem?

c) Can connecting the devices to different power source solve the problem?

I wanna avoid buying things and seeing my problem unsolved.

Thank you

2. mb89 thread starter macrumors newbie

[UPDATE]
    Ok so I've tested the system with headphones instead of the Genelec and it seems fine, so I guess the problem is in the unbalanced connection of the speakers

My problem isnt solved yet, but now I can give you guys this info too

3. mb89 thread starter macrumors newbie

[SOLUTION]

Ok, I'm writing this for people that will have the same kind of problem in the future.
    I've managed to test the system for 2 days with an M-AUDIO fast track, a cheap usb Audio Interface.
    This solved the problem, no more "pop" in the speakers.
    Seems that if your connection are unbalanced, the external video system (which is plugged on the same motherboard) will give you disturbance and noise.