MacBook Pro with External Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by taylorutah, Nov 19, 2007.

1. taylorutah macrumors newbie

I am really close to making the switch. This forum has been a huge help! I have a couple questions and would like your input.

I am going to buy the MBP 2.6, 200GB(7200rpm) with 4GB RAM, don't worry not buying the ram from apple ;)

I want the mobility of the 15", right now I have the Dell m170 and the display is great, but the size is very cumbersome. That's why 15 vs 17 works for me.

I want to get a 28" monitor to have in my home office where I do 75% of my work and then the ability to take the laptop out when I need to...

What is the downside if any of using this MBP with an external monitor?

So the laptop would be lid down while at home, is there a problem with that? Will it really heat up while driving a large monitor while playing a game or doing other video intensive work?

You can see that I am struggling with the laptop vs desktop thingy... I want the best of both worlds! Can this laptop of all laptops fulfill my demands?

This is the monitor I am interested in getting at Costco
    Will this work with the MBP?

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

No problem at all using your MBP like that. In fact, Apple even stated in its support website or manual that the MBP can be used when the screen lid is closed. When the lid is closed, the vent is fully exposed as well.

You'll certainly enjoy your set-up!

3. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

if you are really worried about heating, i read in another thread (do a search for macbook and hdtv) that if you close the lid, the external display will display your desktop at the display's native resolution, but if you open the lid back up, the screen on the laptop will not start up again, so you can continue to use the external at it's native resolution

then, when you disconnect, i am not sure if the laptop's screen will come back on automatically, or if you would have to do a "detect displays" before diconnecting

4. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

You can also run it in a "dual monitor" mode such as I have done. Very helpful tossing those IMs etc. to the other monitor.

5. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

It will be fine. I would get a little stand for it. Watch it cain the heat! (i.e. it'll be fine)

Well said!

6. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Having an external monitor resolution of 2590x1920 was the major reason I went MBP vs. MB. For productivity, I would suggest a monitor with the same resolution as the 30" Apple Cinema. I used that in the Apple Store and Safari only borrows 30% of the screen leaving plenty of room for two other applications.

I ultimately purchased a 37" 1080P and enjoy the slight bump over the laptop resolution. It doesn't, however, encourage work productivity like the 30" ACD did. I got it for the bedroom though and use it only for multimedia.

7. jablko macrumors member

I think others answered your questions more ably than I could. I just want to note though that the 27 and 28 inch monitors have the same resolution as the 23 and 24 inch monitors (and for that matter, the high-res 17 inch MBP). That means that the same number of lines are stretched over a larger space, you don't get any benefit of more screen "room" and it will look less crisp. The extra inches are perfect for multimedia, presentations, games, etc which all involve stretching a lower resolution image across the screen anyway and you can sit back a ways. It might be less attractive for general office functions. So, that's great as a TV replacement with added value, it's not what I'd get for photo editing and office productivity.

8. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

boy, you must have a crap load of money.
    Anyways, if you are getting a external display, try to get as high of a resolution as you can, and fast refresh rate. I am going to hook mine up to a plasma tv, and its an older plasma tv with a low resolution, but it'll have to do. I plan on upgrading in the future.

9. taylorutah thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the great input guys! I have ordered the laptop!

I'm excited and anxious to finally convert! :eek:

10. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

ConGrats!!!!!!