Macbook Pro with external monitor question.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by matts290, Jul 23, 2013.

1. matts290 macrumors newbie

So I recently purchased a used Macbook Pro and I am loving it so far, picked up a bluetooth keyboard and mouse as well as Mini DP to DVI adapter to connect to my ultrasharp. So I got it all set up now, and will be using my MBP as a desktop replacement most of the time when at home. However, until Mavericks is released, the multi monitor support in Mountain Lion isn't real great for my needs. Although I do like to have the MBP screen available when I need it on the fly, so I don't really want to run clamshell mode.

My question is, I have been just dimming the MBP display all the way dark when I am not using it, and then bringing it back up to light quickly when I do need it (via the BT keyboard)...is this going to cause the LCD backlight to wear out quicker? Or have any other negative effects on the macbook?

I know its kinda a dumb question, I just want to make sure I am not doing anything to decrease the life of my notebook (I get paranoid with my stuff)

Thanks guys!

2. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

Don't over think it and just use it however you want. I use an external monitor as well and the laptop screen is just sitting there on all the time. It's 5 years old and still chugging.

3. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

AFAIK, by dimming the screen light all the way down, the actual LEDs are turned off and therefore not being used (if I'm wrong about this, someone please correct me). So it shouldn't be harming your Mac.

However, the MBP screen is still technically on (you'll notice this because you can still move your mouse to that screen) and as a result the GPU is still powering both the built in screen and your external monitor. Again, this isn't necessarily bad for your Mac, but just something to keep in mind if you are doing something graphically intensive (you didn't specify if you're using a 13" or a 15", but this would be less of an issue on the 15" as it has a dGPU).

4. matts290 thread starter macrumors newbie

I rarely do anything graphically intense, Netflix HD streaming is probably the hardest task it sees on a daily basis haha. And its a 13", late 2011 model.

5. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

If HD Netflix is the biggest GPU related task you do, then your 13" can handle that fine even while powering both the built in screen and external.

6. sevoneone macrumors 6502

Been using my mid 2010 15" with an external ever since I got it. Most of the time I run both displays, even if I'm only using the external. Never any ill effects unless I need top performance from the GPU. My model only has 256MB of VRAM on the dedicated GPU which just isn't enough to run any more than the basics across the built-in 1680 x 1050 and an external 1080p monitor. In those few cases I'll close the lid and run clamshell.

The 2011 13", I think, should be an LED backlit IPS panel and will more than likely keep glowing on well past the useful life of the computer even if you left it on 24/7 for the next 10 years or so.

7. matts290 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well thanks guys, I just had to ask to put my worries to rest. :D:apple: