Macbook Pro with Leopard makes even hotter....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alebar14, Nov 19, 2007.

1. alebar14 macrumors regular

alebar14

Anyone has experienced more heat on their MBP after installing Leopard? Why is that ?

2. FortunesFool macrumors member

FortunesFool

I installed Leopard last week as well and my MBP (2.2) has been running between 60-75 C with only 2-3 apps open. If I'm performing with Ableton, forget it, 75+.

I'm hoping (but aren't we all hoping for something) that this will get fixed in an update. I didn't notice any difference between 10.5 and 10.5.1 with temperatures.

I've also been beachballing more than usual. Did you erase and install, upgrade or archive/install?

3. alebar14 thread starter macrumors regular

alebar14

Yes...not makes any difference even I updated it to 10.5.1

Anyway FortunesFool, I just upgrade it from Tiger.

4. Dunkrag macrumors member

Dunkrag

I'm running a bit hotter but the main thing I have noticed since installing Leopard is that instead of taking around 26 secs to boot up my MB is now taking around 100secs to completely boot up from cold. Not too happy about that.

5. truz macrumors 6502a

truz

I did a fresh install on my macbook pro (c2d) everything seems fine, heat and boot speed.

6. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

OMG same same same!

7. ksa macrumors newbie

Mine is at about 46 C all the time for browsing, IM and such. Not hot at all.

8. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Have you disabled processor speed scaling? Also, where do you have your laptop placed? are you blocking air vents? do you have good air circulation within the room?

9. FortunesFool macrumors member

FortunesFool

I have not disabled processor speed scaling - I'm actually not familiar with that option, how would I go about doing that?

And about the placement of my laptop, it's just on a desk near a window with none of the vents blocked. However, since the heat isn't really working in my house right now, my room is freezing most of the time. It's not as bad as this past summer when I first got the MBP and it would crest 80C all the time - that changed when the weather cooled down, but since installing leopard the temperature will skyrocket very quickly when I have more than safari and itunes running (though time machine might be running as well)

As an example right now, I'm running itunes and safari and my GPU is registering at 30C higher than the enclosure bottom (60C vs 29C)

I haven't had overheating problems since the summer and I haven't even tried to run parallels with leopard yet - I'm a little hesitant because that always pushes the temp up about 15-20C

10. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

hmm, that sounds like an issue - if I was you, I'd take it into place you bought it from because in the summer things could go pear shaped. I'm wondering whether there isn't decent contact between the processor and heat sink etc.

11. FortunesFool macrumors member

FortunesFool

I'll definitely consider it. However, I bought it online and the nearest store is quite a drive.

2 questions:

1: By processor speed scaling do you mean the option in energy saver (which my computer doesn't have) or something that I would have to do in terminal?

2: pear shaped?

Thanks!

12. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

Macbook Pro with Leopard makes even hotter....

I had a problem with heat issues on my MacBook Pro.

I dropped it off for service at an Apple Store. When it was returned to the store, Apple had replaced the motherboard.

I did 2 other things. I got a stand, with an installed fan.

And I downloaded fancontrol. A freeware program. Google "fancontrol".

I no longer have heat problems.

13. FortunesFool macrumors member

FortunesFool

I forgot to mention that I do use SMC Fancontrol as well as menumeters so that I can constantly monitor it.

I'd like to avoid a logic board replacement at all costs - I've had issues with past computers and once they replace the logic board it seems to throw the whole system off and everything else gets wonky as well.

14. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

:D it's a figure of speech, means the same as "go bad"

15. ruZZ.il macrumors member

MBP 2.33 and a clean install of leopard. smooth, snappy (still snappy), and seems cooler. I've got some friends with macbooks that just did the upgrade and have quiet a few issues that I'm not having like occasional freezing, long boot times, etc. Mine boots quicker.. yada yada.. it feels like its just generally more efficient. I've still got a few minor things that bother me. I'm waiting for a skype update, some screen sharing bugs.. hm..nothing too critical really. I'm a happy camper. I recommend doing a clean install if you can.. just make sure to back up your stuff first.. mail, etc. there is a way to restore main from the files if it doesnt work straight away too.. anyway.. good luck. oh, and my gf's mac mini is kicking ass after a clean install and ram boost to 1gb (1.5Ghz core solo, used to suck but its great for what she doesn now) :)

16. oYx macrumors regular

on my mbp, leopard runs at about 53-55 C, while windows xp runs at 38-40 C. both are running pretty idle, with only a few apps loaded and not doing much.