MacBook Pro with MULTIPLE PROBLEMS (is this the norm?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lowboost, Mar 3, 2012.

1. lowboost macrumors newbie

I bought a Macbook Pro 13 inch back in late 2008 and never used it for anything much more than email/internet use and itunes of course. I recently used got a Mac for work and started tinkering with my Macbook more. I noticed a LOT of problems, the illuminated keyboard has never worked. The Isight camera doesnt work, as well as bluetooth. Then just this past week my USB drive throws this "USB Over Current Notice" and wont work with certain USB hardware plugged up....

So...
    No Bluetooth
    No iSight Camera working
    No keyboard illumination (due to isight camera I believe not working)
    No USB device working properly
    I rarely used this laptop and took meticulous care of it. What would cause all these problems???

I have reset the PRAM and SMC and even reformatted and reinstalled OSX... I am currently running 10.5.8 and info on this computer below.
    Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook5,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB51.007D.B03
    SMC Version (system): 1.32f8
    Serial Number (system): W8846ETB1AX
    Hardware UUID: BAC45888-858C-529F-A738-CD57F7F6675F
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

Any help would be awesome... I dont want to take this puppy apart but I will if its what it takes. Thanks in advance!

Jeff

2. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

genius bar...

you're saying you've had this since 2008 and are now noticing some of these things? it does sound like resetting smc would help...

applesupport

3. lowboost thread starter macrumors newbie

yes pathetic isnt it! I hate to say it, but I never really cared, I also had a girl talk me into going to a Mac and I had the cash at the time and didnt care... Now it's pissing me off, and I just want to know and fix the dang thing.

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

5. JacaByte macrumors 6502

You might get some results by reseating the WiFi/Bluetooth connector on the logicboard, along with the iSight camera connector on the logicboard and the keyboard connector on the logicboard. (This one might be unaccessible without taking the logicboard out) I personally have had to reseat the WiFi/Bluetooth connector on my MBP's logicboard to get bluetooth working again.

I have no idea where these connectors are on the logicboard though, nor can I locate a teardown of the 2008 13" MBP. I don't know what to tell you...

Unfortunately nothing can be done about the USB, I bet that's a logicboard problem, and replacement logicboards are expensive. OTOH the laptop is 4 years old, which is a long time for any laptop to run.

6. lowboost thread starter macrumors newbie

geez not the responses i wanted to hear... i might tear it down tomorrow at work... not sure what i will do but might check all connections. I'll keep you posted.

7. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

8. lowboost thread starter macrumors newbie

FIXED IT.

being a guy and not asking for directions is one thing... and its the way I am. I did ask for help but my very last resort was to go to the genius bar. I decided I would take my MBP apart, see if anything is obiviously wrong with the machine then pop it back together if I couldnt see anything. After watching a video on how to remove the logic board I took my unibody cover off the bottom. Before I could even put my magnifying glasses on to look at the multiple plug in ribbons I saw it. The cable that runs the isight and bluetooth module was plugged in crooked. So I used my mini flat head screw driver and clicked it all the way in. I was somewhat excited at that point, but wasnt going to get my hopes up. I then decided to check and tighten any screw and or connection into the logic board. I then popped on the unibody bottom, battery and battery cover and crossed fingers and toes. I turn on the computer and see the bluetooth icon in the top corner, then turned on photobooth and to my amazement saw myself smiling back at me!!! My 4 year old MPB was finally working! My office was dim this morning so instantly my keyboard illuminated too!!!! I do still have the issue with the USB hub but its the least of my troubles for now. I am buying a a/c powered hub with multiple ports to see if I can bypass that overage prompt that comes up. Anyways I am glad I didnt junk my computer or sell it for parts as some suggested just because its old. Just because you have a problem and even searched all over the net and still dont have the answer then dont give up! I have a picture of the cable attached.

Attached Files:

9. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Glad you fixed it up :) Beautiful machine, would've been a big shame if you'd given up on it!

10. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Good find, that's an easy cable to not seat right, so I'm not horrible surprised. Glad it's working!

jW