Macbook Pro with new HDD won't install OSX

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by izapp, May 30, 2013.

1. izapp macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am having issues with my friend's Macbook Pro who asked me to fix it.

I will cut to the chase since I need this Mac fixed as soon as possible.

I installed a new Seagate 500gb HDD on this machine and been trying to install separately Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion and haven't had any chances with either the installers. I tried formatting the Seagate from my Mac and then installing it on the other and still have had no luck.

No Apple Hardware Test or Recovery System works on this mac on the boot screen.

All the installers I use are downloaded from torrents since the original cd's were lost.
    I don't think this is the issue here, the fact that I am not using the original cd's because I downloaded RETAIL versions of the OSX as well as pirated

I have also tried installing refit boot manager (http://refit.sourceforge.net) to see if that can help - but still nothing.

I would really appreciate your help

Thanks and have a nice day,

Loukianos :)

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

We can't help you here, you are trying to install pirated/Torrented Software, it is against the rules for us to help you with this.

Help:MacRumors FAQ

Buy OS X from Apple, but it depends on your model which you did not mention.

Or, Call Apple, if it is an older Model you can get the disks from Apple, provided it is not an "Older" version.

3. izapp thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not asking for help on torrented software, I am only asking for possible ways to fix this machine. The methods mentioned above are only there for record so that someone who has the solution knows my circumstances.

The mac model is the following :

[​IMG]

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Buy Snow Leopard from Apple, it is a physical disk.

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

Only $19.99
    From there you can upgrade to the latest OS X in App store if you want to.

Edit, you actually tried ↓↓↓↓↓↓

So don't say you didn't and was just an example.;)

5. izapp thread starter macrumors newbie

So you think that my issue here is the fact I do not have an actual copy of the original install dvd's?
    If this was the case, then why this computer having a bought license of snow leopard failed on every attempt with the retail image burned on an external HD?

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

How did you burn it, in Windows?
    If that is the case that might be the problem.

7. izapp thread starter macrumors newbie

No, not windows. Disk Utility of course

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I think I missed something, or you didn't say, do you have another Mac?

Btw, how did you format the drive?

9. izapp thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I do have another mac. The mac that is having these issues is my friend's.
    I formatted the drive Mac Journaled /w GUID Partition Table.

I think it is important to know that when I loaded the setup on the issued Mac it wouldn't allow me on installer disk utility, so I had to remove the HD and format it on my mac and put it back in and try. But still it failed.

10. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

What do you mean that it wouldn't allow you? You couldn't access Disk Utility from the installer, or Disk Utility from the installer wouldn't allow you to format the drive?

If you couldn't access Disk Utility then it sounds like something went wrong with your installers. You can use Apple's Recovery Tool (the link goes to the OS X 10.8 version, but there should also be a 10.7 version). Put it on a USB drive, boot from it, and it will allow you to access all of the usual tools. It will download the OS X installer from Apple. If your friend had already purchased OS X 10.7 or 10.8 then this won't cost anything. After downloading (which can take a while) it will install.

If Disk Utility couldn't access the disk drive from your friend's computer then it sounds more like a hardware issue of some sort, but not an issue with the hard drive. Since you didn't tell us what problem the system was having that caused your friend to bring it to you we can't say for certain how likely or unlikely that is.

11. leman macrumors 604

Ok, I don't get it... so does the laptop boot the install DVD or does it get stuck during the boot sequence? Because in that case I would say that your HDD is broken, or not installed correctly ;)

12. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Have you tried Target Disk Mode, but you need a Firewire cable for this to work, and FW ports.

If so you can install from your Mac to the other.

What I also recommend is to reset SMC on your friends Mac.

Edit: Maybe it is the HD cable.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My advice, spring for the 19.95 Snow Leopard disk. You'll save more time and frustration by picking that up, then keep spinning your wheels.

14. izapp thread starter macrumors newbie

I can access Disk Utility from the installer but it won't allow me to format.

As of the recovery tool, it won't boot on the mac. My friend just told me that he doesn't know what version the Mac had. So from guessing 2009 model would have 10.5 Leopard.. right?

No. The HDD isn't broken. It was bought yesterday and works perfectly on the external HD usb case I have.

I haven't tried Target Disk Mode with firewire but I've tried cloning my Mac's HD to the new one and then booting out of that. (I know this was a bad idea). It the HD cable isn't working then why does it recognise on Disk Utility off the installer the hard drive?

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What justperry posted: Buy Snow Leopard from the apple store. You get the disk and avoid the headaches you're dealing with now.

16. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Then tell me, what else can it be, if the HD is a new one it should be able to format it.
    Or you did something wrong with it which I doubt since you told me how you did it or there is some hardware problem.

Why don't you just install it from YOUR Mac (HD in Caddy) and then startup from it on the other Mac externally?

Edit: It won't be the first MBP 13" with a bad SATA Cable, there are quit a few.

17. izapp thread starter macrumors newbie

Probably the SATA Cable is the problem since everything else seems to be working fine. The matter of fact is that I live in Crete, Greece and have no instant access to Mac paraphernalia and have to order from abroad to get it in good price. I'll see what I will do.

Thanks everyone for their help.. I'll keep you update :)

18. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Ah Crete, nice place, been there once, partying, booze and girls.:D

Keep us updated.