Macbook Pro with NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bikaz, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Bikaz macrumors newbie

Can I play any game with max setting on the Macbook Pro (the most high-end one) with NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M Graphics Card.
    I am planning on buying one. :confused:

2. Dubberton macrumors regular

you can, but the frame rate will suck, and this is speaking from experience as I own the model with the 750m. Your best bet would be running bootcamp of course, but even then you would probably do high settings at most. Unfortunately, the MacBooks cannot compare to a powerful windows desktop machine.

3. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I can't comment on the MBP, but I have a 750M in my iMac and it certainly can't play every game at max settings. Even playing Half-Life 2 (quite an old game now) at native resolution wasn't 100% smooth, and some sections of the game turned into slide-shows. The MBP does have an additional 1GB of VRAM though, which could make a difference.

4. Bikaz thread starter macrumors newbie

So I have to play with 2880*1800 resolution and other settings with medium-high configuration right? Or I can't even use full native resolution while gaming?

5. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I'd suggest medium-high settings on most games.

Max everything out and you'll get quite a low framerate.

6. Bikaz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah! I hope that the additional 1gb will make a difference.

7. gochi macrumors 6502

8. Robin Lee macrumors newbie

I am not a gaming person so I will skip commenting on that part. Here is a benchmark of GT750M on how it fares against the other desktop counterparts. Btw, GT650M is about 30% slower than GT750M in most cases.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GT+750M

9. gochi macrumors 6502

i know but it shouldn't be that slow!

10. Bikaz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah that's what i was also thinking. My friend has a HP laptop with Nvidia GeForce 840M 2GB DDR3 graphics in it. He plays Battlefield 3 with max settings. And I haven't seen any lag on it.

11. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

no issues playing CS 1.6 at 2880x1800

CS:GO a tad different (medium at best to still have a responsive game)

12. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

This is a mobile GPU

The 750M is a mid level mobile GPU, it is perfectly fine to play most games at medium levels in 1080P.

If you want any more than that in a laptop or an all in one then your only choices will be windows laptops.

The latest 14 inch razer blade will probably suit you better if gaming is your thing.

13. Bikaz thread starter macrumors newbie

I have decided to go with the macbook pro. I will mostly Use Logic in it. And also use it on my dj set. I am also a Gamer but i don't wanna spend such a high amount on a Windows pc.

14. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Good choice

That'll be fantastic for logic and games will run fine as long as you don't expect a laptop to perform like a monster Desktop PC with liquid cooling and dual graphics cards. I swear most of the people on here seem surprised when this is not the case :confused:

15. gochi macrumors 6502

they should put in a geforce gt 860m

reason they put in a 750m is to save money i believe. higher margins.

16. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

I don't think thats the reason

The reason they didn't upgrade the dGPU is that they only change the GPU when they change to a new chipset, it's what they have always done.

17. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

ANY game? No. Some games? Definitely. StarCraft II, for instance, should play nicely as should Diablo III, WoW and Hearthstone.

The thing most people tend to forget about the machine you are considering buying is that it is a MacBook Pro WITH RETINA DISPLAY! As in, this is a 2880x1800 display and not the 1680x1050 or 1440x900 displays that you'd previously get in the now-defunct non-retina 15" MacBook Pros.

Driving games through this display requires them to be optimized for it, otherwise they (a) won't work right, (b) will run slow as hell, or (c) both.

Unfortunately, for MacBook Pros with discrete graphics, your only option is the high-end 15" with retina. My advice would be to do research, see if the games you want to play on it are supported, and then buy accordingly. Some, definitely won't. For instance, Portal 1 doesn't run well; at least, it didn't a year and a half ago. Your mileage may vary. If the games you want to play are not supported, I'd say get an iMac and then game on a PC laptop if you require gaming mobility.

Don't forget to factor the retina display in tow on that MacBook Pro. Apple doesn't have any MacBook Pro bearing that GPU that doesn't have a 2880x1800 retina display in tow and that really does change things when it comes to how well a laptop GPU can draw, especially if the game is not optimized to take advantage of the higher pixel density.

No. See above. Pushing 2880x1800 pixels is more work than pushing 1920x1080 pixels or the 1680x1050 that the 15" MacBook Pro used to have on the higher end.

The dGPU is made by NVIDIA, the chipset is made by Intel. Apple could've moved to the 850m or the 860m on the higher-end 2014 15" MacBook Pro if they wanted to. It's not like there aren't other Haswell laptops that DO have these dGPUs; Apple could've outfitted this one with it; they just chose not to. To say that they only USUALLY do it when there's a chipset change doesn't negate that they could've done it anyway.

18. gochi macrumors 6502

well they have been using the nvidia series for no reason

i mean theres 650m, 750, 850

why not go to 860, or 770, or even 780m

if the retina had the 780m i would buy in a heart beat - dream machine!

19. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

I don't pretend to know Apples processes but this would be my guess

Because it uses more power and creates more heat, Apple use the best available for there TDP requirements at the time of design.

Now admittedly there are now new 800 series that could go in but I'd imagine they are unwilling to go through all the validation and testing they would need to do for basically a one component upgrade and then have to do it all again in 6 months for broadwell.