MacBook Pro with OLED display is coming in real life!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mavericks7913, May 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mavericks7913 macrumors 6502a

http://www.thelec.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=1695

Samsung is having a discussion with Apple about selling OLED display for Apple devices. Base on this article, Apple is suggesting to add OLED displays for 16 inch MacBook Pro and 11 inch iPad Pro.

Samsung already made 4K OLED displays for 15 inches since February.

So I guess Apple is going to OLED displays for MacBook Pro and iPad Pro soon?

2. currahee2100 macrumors regular

Good god, I don't even want to know what the price tag will be on that thing. Bets? $4500.

3. pshufd macrumors 6502a

I can't read Korean. But 4K on 16.5 or 17 inches is interesting. Sure, Apple's 2880x1800 is good but they'd probably make their own life easier going with industry standards.

4. leman macrumors G3

I seriously doubt it. What i find more likely is a micro-LED display. Apple has been allegedly heavily investing in that tech.

5. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

Especially since Apple will give it some extra marketing juice with ProMotion, TrueTone, LiquidRetina, HyperResolution, EgoBoost and perhaps some more other mostly BS buzzwords to get homers frothing over it and defend its newly absurd level of markup.

Suddenly “only 5k for amaze balls Apple magic” will be a “great deal” and “nobody did OLED like Apple is doing it now”...

Sadly it’ll still probably somehow have a hot garbage keyboard, no useful ports, run too hot, have questionable battery life and be, yet again, even thinner (which literally nobody is asking for even now).

6. limo79, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019

limo79 macrumors regular

Apple is conservative company so they do not experiment with the technology that create significant risk from financial, technology, quality, customer perspective and warranty. I would like to believe that they show something breathtaking in terms of hardware but cannot believe that it will happen under Tim Cook as CEO. ... and in terms of prices: such 16" device will be really expensive.

7. Jaekae macrumors 6502a

They will never add oled to computer screens since the burn in problem, microled later maby

8. Janichsan macrumors 68000

Janichsan

That's more of a mid- or long-term investment, as at the time of writing, there still is not a single commercially viable µLED display. OLED on the other hand are a mature technology and Apple has no qualms about using them in their $1500 flagship phone.

As if Apple in 2019 cares about the longevity of their products...

9. Sebosz macrumors newbie

This + the fact that people keep their notebooks for much longer than smartphones makes me think they’ll never do that. Maybe on iPad, but I don’t think ProMotion will work well with OLED’s behavior when it comes to displaying dark things on black background.

10. leman macrumors G3

And in 2011 there was no commercially viable hidpi display... tje point being, Apple is among the leaders in uLED research, so I won’t be surprised st all if they launch the first product on its base. Not to mention that their new display is supposed to use uLED for backlight. Apple has enough cash to allow experiments.

At the same time, the OLED they use in their phones is not the same as the OLED you find in most devices, just a year ago it was an exclusive tech that Samsung wouldn’t even use in their own phones due to the high cost. Scaling that to laptop size might be more difficult than it might seem. Not to mention that Apples current display tech still compares very favorably with existing OLED laptops. Unless there is some sort of breakthrough on OLED I just don’t see what benefit would Apple have from it.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Weren't people saying that very thing regarding the iPhone?

I'm not saying the rumor is true or false, but it seems more and more companies are jumping on the OLED bandwagon,

12. Janichsan, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019

Janichsan macrumors 68000

Janichsan

The first Apple product with a "Retina" display was released in 2010, and even then they were despite Apple's marketing hype mainly an evolutionary step of an existing technology. LC displays with 200 dpi and more have already been available (for a ridiculously steep price) from 2002 on.

µLEDs on the other hand are a completely new, largely unproven technology.

Samsung has been using OLEDs in their phones since 2010 at least.

Apparently not that difficult. Lenovo, Dell, HP, and Razer all offer laptops with OLED displays, in part since 2017. And let's not forget that OLED TVs and monitors have been on the market for more than a decade already.

But in one point you are correct: the price has been prohibitive for the longest time.

13. frou macrumors 6502

frou

I get the feeling this holy grail will be a bit underwhelming for laptops, unless you are a lover of great black levels.

14. leman, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019

leman macrumors G3

That is a good point. I'm hoping that the latest leaks are true and that we start seeing some products this year.

Sure, but OLED display of iPhone X was still on a different level when it was first released. What I am trying to say that Apple has waited a long time for the OLED tech to be mature enough for their purposes and even then they only use it in their flagship phones. The question is whether the same kind of high-end OLED can be up scaled to a use in a laptop display before uLED technology is ready.

Well, of course, but these displays are not any better than what Apple uses now (they have better contrast obviously but that's about it). Currently, high-end IPS displays beat the OLED ones. Unless OLED laptop displays make a significant jump this/next year, why would Apple want to use a dimmer and more power-hungry screen? Still waiting for proper reviews to appear for Yoga C730 and Spectre x360 OLED, but for example Alienware 13 R3 does not impress me at all with its display.
    --- Post Merged, May 20, 2019 ---
    Maybe we are looking at different companies here? Apple's track record of taking risks like these is kind of legendary. In most recent times: HiDPI displays, non-replaceable components, USB-C only, removal of the escape key, introduction of security coprocessor, a completely new keyboard design (which in retrospect ended up being flawed). And it's not a recent thing, Apple was doing this kind of stuff under Steve Jobs all the time. They are also known to be their user base for experiments , e.g. iOS is being used to experiment with software design and new APIs before they get finalised, hardware with half-baked drivers.

15. SalisburySam macrumors member

SalisburySam

So this may improve screens to an extent that is possibly perceptible. How about a decent keyboard?

16. vaugha macrumors 6502

So it is finally coming and then the rumored mini-led lit mbp in 2021...that makes sense.

17. SalisburySam macrumors member

SalisburySam

Great to learn about the new OLED screen. Wonderful, just amazing, couldn’t be more pleased. Now, will the keyboard become usable?

18. twanj macrumors 6502

twanj

Have you seen the 4K LG OLED TVs? Beautiful.

I've heard they're susceptible to burn in tho, & as a computer monitor that'd be even more likely.

19. buran-energia macrumors regular

They didn't even solve the burn-in on the iPhone OLEDs and you think they will put an OLED on a device used for much longer periods?

Not to mention, I borderline hate Apple's OLED on the iPhone. Sure, the photos look great, but when it's white/light background under certain lighting conditions, even when looking straight on the screen, you notice color shifting at either the top or bottom. It's more annoying than the LCD color shifting (to gray). It would drive me nuts on a MBP, because so many websites have white background. Not to mention the worry about burn-in.

Unless there's some kind of a breakthrough, zero chances it will have OLED with the current tech.

20. kirkj1s macrumors newbie

Non-issue. My iphone X and My Sony OLED are incredible. Also I have an Alienware R13 with an OLED screen and the display makes my MBP look outdated at best.
    --- Post Merged, May 24, 2019 ---
    Non-issue. My iphone X and My Sony OLED are incredible. Also I have an Alienware R13 with an OLED screen and the display makes my MBP look outdated at best.

21. leman macrumors G3

Does it? According to external reviews, R13's display is way dimmer and its color accuracy is not the best either.

22. kirkj1s macrumors newbie

The blacks and colors pop more and it is "crisper". Plus PLEASE APPLE CAN I HAVE A TOUCH SCREEN OPTION!!!
    --- Post Merged, May 24, 2019 ---
    My Sony OLED TV, iPhone X, Alienware R13 and my Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 beg to differ. OLED is incredible across all those platforms!

23. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.