MacBook Pro with or without touchbar?

vtrautia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2015
I considering buying a Macbook pro 13 but i can't decide which one to get. I using the machine mainly on the go video editing machine. I plan to keep this machine at least 4 years. I noticed in ifixit teardown that touch bar model has two fans and non touch bar model only a single fan. Non touch bar model has replaceable SSD and touch id model SSD is soldered to motherboard.

Can both models keep up the full turbo boost clocks without throttling?

What kind of temperatures are you getting full cpu load?

Touchbar model has soldered SSD so it possible recover the data if the motherboard dies?

Maybe somebody could test it with Intel Power gadget and some program that stress the cpu close to 100% stress.

Last edited:

kissymac7

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2015
The world
Hi,
Well what screen size are you going for?Because the 15 inch only have a tb version.
If its the 13 inch I would go for the non tb. Its really just an extra feature but not a necessary upgrade and does no enhancements to editing.
You can save some bucks with a non tb and still have a future proof machine.
Spend more bucks on ram, ssd and etc.

theluggage

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2011
If its the 13 inch I would go for the non tb. Its really just an extra feature but not a necessary upgrade and does no enhancements to editing.
...but remember that the 13" TB model also has a more powerful processor and four, rather than two, TB3/USB-C ports.

travelsheep

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2013
TB is a joke. Ugly. Inconvenient to use. If I had to upgrade I would buy 13" non-TB and go for 16 GB and 512 GB SSD. But luckily my MacBook Air 2011 is still running strong!

vtrautia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2015
Hi,
Well what screen size are you going for?Because the 15 inch only have a tb version.
I am going for the 13 inch model with extra ram and 512GB SSD. 15 inch model is too big for me. Not sure if the touch bar is worth of the extra cash. But i am worried about the non touch bar model performance because it has only a single fan. It would be great know if there is any throttling in these models.

Last edited:

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Hi,
The touchbar is literally designed for editing tools in FCPX or mixing music or anything really where touch sliders and tools would be useful rather than shortcuts.