Macbook PRO with osx 10.5.5 wireless internet is SLOW AND OPEN DNS DIDNT HELP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johncheese94, Nov 2, 2008.

1. johncheese94 macrumors newbie

I've looked at the thread fir this topic and multiple other sites already and most people said that switching to open DNS helped them. I tried this and it worked perfectly that day. The next day it seemed WORSE than before i switched, so i tired refreshing my router, and that sped things up again. After those first two gays, however, my internet is just as slow as before. If anyone has any advice (be specific, I have other computers on this network that I don't to mess up so any router directions need to be as specfic as possible). Also a couple specs- Intel core 2 duo processor, netgear wpn824 router configured with open DNS (DNS server set to 'use these' and the 2 DNS servers 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.222.220). The router is brand new, and my mom's super old Toshiba laptop that will barely turn on is 100 times faster since i started open dns, so i can't figure out the issue. I'm grateful for any help I may get, thanks!

2. MBPDiva macrumors regular

Best advice: junk the Netgear and get a Lynksis N router. You won't be sorry. The speeds are amazing and no need for any DNS settings. :)

3. johncheese94 thread starter macrumors newbie

Forgot

I forgot to add the results to my speed test:
    download speed- 1009kb/s
    upload speed- 745 kb/s
    ISP- comcast cable (my prime suspect)
    Ping- 167ms

hope this helps

4. MBPDiva macrumors regular

It's not Comcast, it's the crappy router. Comcast high speed internet is blazing fast in my area. 10 x faster than Bellsouth DSL.

5. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

How the hell did you hit G instead of D?

And can you go into Terminal and tell us what your ping rate, packet loss etc is?

But I think it has more to do with QoS issues, rather than speed.