MacBook Pro with Retina Display - RAM NOT User upgradable

24Frames

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2012
The RAM in the new MacBook Pros is soldered onto the motherboard.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Pro-with-Retina-Display-Teardown/9462/1#.T9igXo6LnYu

I thought this would happen when the rumours started circulating about new thinner MacBook Pros, and it has. The problem with that is that Apple charge $200 for the 8GB to 16GB upgrade. The price difference between 8GB (2 x 4GB) and 16GB (2 x 8GB) on crucial.com is $121, and that's at launch. Not good news, because it ties you into Apples notoriously overpriced RAM upgrades.

As RAM prices have fallen I've upgraded my 17-inch MBP RAM twice since I purchased it just over a year ago, first from 4GB to 8GB, and then a month ago from 8GB to 16GB. It cost less than ordering the MBP with 8GB from Apple on purchase. It makes a massive difference running 3D apps like e-on software Vue and MAXON CINEMA 4D.

Unimpressed by this.
ifixit give it a repairability score of 1 out of 10!

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
The RAM in the new MacBook Pros is soldered onto the motherboard.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Pro-with-Retina-Display-Teardown/9462/1#.T9igXo6LnYu

I thought this would happen when the rumours started circulating about new thinner MacBook Pros, and it has. The problem with that is that Apple charge $200 for the 8GB to 16GB upgrade. The price difference between 8GB (2 x 4GB) and 16GB (2 x 8GB) on crucial.com is $121, and that's at launch. Not good news, because it ties you into Apples notoriously overpriced RAM upgrades.

As RAM prices have fallen I've upgraded my 17-inch MBP RAM twice since I purchased it just over a year ago, first from 4GB to 8GB, and then a month ago from 8GB to 16GB. It cost less than ordering the MBP with 8GB from Apple on purchase. It makes a massive difference running 3D apps like e-on software Vue and MAXON CINEMA 4D.

Unimpressed by this.
ifixit give it a repairability score of 1 out of 10!
old news bra

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.