MacBook Pro with Retina Display Security

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mindy60, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Mindy60 macrumors regular

Why in he** did Apple not provide a kensington lock slot?? I was about to purchase one of these macs. I live in a retirement community and need to keep my laptop secure against theft.

Why, Apple? If I get one of these laptops and it gets stolen, I'm not buying another one. But Dell really sucks! I'm on my second one (they replaced the 1st one because of all the problems) and now I have problems with the trackpad and keyboard even though I configured it TO WORK!! Not to mention that one time the system didn't recognize the power adapter (happened on the 1st unit, too). But hey, this unit is a BIG improvement on the 1st one.

Sorry guys, just bummed... I really wanted a MacBook Pro with Retina display. :rolleyes:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Mostly because those locks are not really all that useful. All you need to do is one quick hard pull and its free.

If someone wants the the laptop that little tiny hole cut into the case is not going to stop them

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

There are plenty of glue-on security pads that mount a cable where there is no slot, modern glues can make it all but irremovable but I'm not sure I'd disfigure the MBP by fitting one. If you are only concerns when it is left without you then there are mesh security bags you can use (backpackers usage for instance), that you then lock to something immovable.

4. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

Because someone with a nice pair of wire cutters or bolt cutters can have your MacBook in 10 seconds if you leave it unattended. Cable locks are for peace of mind more than actual security.

If you're really concerned, lock it up in a safe when you leave. Just make sure to have the safe bolted down too, or that'll just get stolen.

5. sixrom macrumors 6502a

I have not lost or had stolen a single one of the many PowerBooks or MBP's I've had to date. I carry one every day and when traveling through airports it's simple. I have a very comfortable case that I never take off and put down. The inconvenience is well worth it.

6. Mindy60 thread starter macrumors regular

These kensington slots & locks are a deterrent and can give you peace of mind, at least for me. If you were staying in a hotel, how would you secure the MBP? Rhetorical question since this has already been addressed. My concern was this and also because I consider living in an apartment as having the same risk as staying in a hotel since you have housekeepers, maintenance, and security coming through any time.

I did go ahead and buy one yesterday. I can live with the risk. I just need to get used to not locking my laptop like I have always done before.

So I can't wait! I am so excited!! :D

Thanks for the responses. Have a great day!

Mindy :)

7. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Best Buy has an adapter that slides through the hinges on a MBP and can be connected to the cable lock:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-thi...652031&skuId=6954084&st=macbook pny&cp=1&lp=4

But as others have said, it’s more for making you feel safe than actually being safe.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

Kensington locks are useless, a good yank and they break right off. IMO a scam to get insecure people to cough up money.

If you live in an apartment, get renter's insurance, it'll cover theft you're so concerned about.

9. nexus4life macrumors regular

This. Insurance is your best bet. As well as the obvious things- enable find my mac etc.

10. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Firmware password
    Filevault2 to encrypt all SSD/HDDs
    Find My Mac
    No guest logins
    Strong login password
    Different admin account and password
    I use Keycard so my iPhone also has to be within BT range

any other suggestions?

11. nexus4life macrumors regular

Guest logins are fine; they can't access anything anyways. (Mine switches to a "Secure, Safari Only" system when entering guest mode)

Think you pretty much covered everything there, nice job :D

12. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Missed one - a nice message on the login screen giving a contact phone number as the chances are if lost, an honest/helpful person will find it (especially if found at a venue, train etc where there is a proper lost property process). Mine says:

"If Found Please Contact +XX(0)NNNNNNNNN Many Thanks!"

Have been wondering whether to add that the contents are secure/encrypted...
    Pros:
    It may get left/abandoned quickly, or the thief try and pose as a "finder"

Cons:
    Some might see it as a challenge :)

13. nexus4life macrumors regular

The problem is is that Mac anti-theft isn't quite where iOS anti-theft is at. Literally the user has the power to brick their iOS device if it gets stolen. We almost can do something similar with MacBooks, but not entirely. Hopefully we get an update that can add an activation lock of sorts. (I'm aware that you can set a password from find my mac, but it's been bypassed many times and just seems like it's not the most secure)

14. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

TBH its the information I'm more concerned about, if I can force the thief to wipe the drives or have to bin them then that is a result in terms of data security.

15. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

If those lock are password protected, I can open it without yanking/damaging the MBP.

Whenever I stay in a hotel, I always put it in a safe. Though the safe is not that 'safe' anyway. Staff can open it with a master key.

16. nexus4life macrumors regular

http://www.milockie.com? Never used it myself but read about it a while back.